Smart Lock (4th generation) Firmware Beta 4.1.x

Smart Lock (4th generation) Updates

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.1

• Bugfixes and stability improvements

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.2

• Rework of the overall connection handling
    • Improvements on the handling of WiFi (Remote Access and the MQTT API)
    • Additionally adding the capabilities for using Thread for Remote Access and the MQTT API
  • Applicable for Smart Lock and Smart Lock Pro
    • Smart Lock and Smart Lock Pro can now be also controlled from remote with the Nuki App using the Thread uplink from a Matter pairing

Note:
Your Smart Lock will automatically switch the Thread uplink in case it is available. This is for now only supported by Apple devices (HomePod, HomePod Mini, Apple TV) and Home Assistant.

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.3

• Bugfixes and stability improvements on the recent changes (connection handling and Thread uplink)

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.4

• Improved WiFi reconnect handling
  • Bugfixes and stability improvements on the connection handler

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.5

• Empty version for verifying the automatic update

Smart Lock Beta 4.1.6

• Improvements for the WiFi reconnect handling
  • Performance improvements for the Thread connection

Note:
Please use this firmware in combination with the most recent App beta versions:

Wifi disconnects after 1 minute and never reconnects again unless I take the battery out and put it back in.:frowning:

Working this beta some days without any issues with a non pro Nuki. Still lacking the unlatch feature for matter. Any news about when will be implemented, without block/unblock/unlatch options matter is not safe to be used. Thanks!

Hello, I have a Smart lock 4 with the latest beta firmware and Auto unlock has stopped working for me. When I get to the door I have to wait for it to connect the Bluetooth and open it by pressing the open door button. It used to work very well for me, but now nothing. When is the update that allows you to connect to the internet via thread? I guess it would work much better that way.

Original post has been updated with release notes for the Smart Lock Beta 4.1.2

This Beta is enabling Smart Locks to utilize an available Thread connection (from a Matter pairing) for Remote Access and for the MQTT API. As mentioned in the overview, the Smart Lock (4th generation, Standard and Pro version) will automatically utilize the Thread connection if an internet uplink is given. Please keep in mind that such internet uplink for Thread devices requires NAT64, which is currently only supported by Apple devices (HomePod, HomePod Mini, Apple TV) and by Home Assistant.

If you install this Beta on a Smart Lock (4th generation, Standard variant) you might experience that the Bridge connection is lost and that the app asks you to purchase an upgrade to receive the full remote access. In this particular case please write me a DM for further assistance.

Additionally it has to be pointed out that the currently public available apps are not showing all options which come along with this new feature (e.g. Thread uplink is not shown), still the Smart Locks can be fully used without any constraints.

As this Beta is not only introducing the new mentioned feature but also improving the WiFi implementation we are kindly asking you to install this beta and provide your feedback via this channel - thank you!

Installed in a non pro version.

Added and working via thread (nest hub as border router) to Home Assistant.

Everything seems to work.

I understand we have to wait for an app update to start using the thread for online.

Installed on 2x Pro version and tried out to connect to a WPA3-only SSID. As expected, I got a “wrong password” error (meaning that auth failed, not that the password was wrong), but the app showed a weird state:

Restarting the app updates the state:

While in this state, the lock was unable to scan for WiFi networks and presented an empty list. After connecting to my alternate WPA2-SSID manually, the list was populated again.

Actually the Smart Lock (4th generation) is not supporting WPA3 - see also following support article: https://support.nuki.io/hc/en-us/articles/20720897764241-Does-the-Pro-version-of-the-Nuki-Smart-Lock-support-the-WPA3-standard

Please keep in mind that we will for sure inform about such feature development via the developer forum, for now no development activities are ongoing into that direction.

To enable the online option via thread how we have to proceed?

I have the following configuration:

[LOCK] ----> [thread using Nest hub as border router] ----> [Home Assistant with matter addon]

Thanks!

I’m very well aware of this. I think the support article was created after I asked about it: Smart Lock 4.0 Pro + WPA3. I just hoped that “improving the WiFi implementation” would incorporate the feature request, but thank you for confirming that it doesn’t.

Hi there,

im using a Nuki 4.0 non Pro Lock in combination with a Nuki Keypad, an Nuki Opener and a Nuki Bridge.

As [Stefan Reiterer] mentioned …
“If you install this Beta on a Smart Lock (4th generation, Standard variant) you might experience that the Bridge connection is lost and that the app asks you to purchase an upgrade to receive the full remote access. In this particular case please write me a DM for further assistance.”

It is better not to install the Smart Lock Beta 4.1.2 Version, and keep disabled the “Auto Firmware update function” to avoid further surprises ?
Currently im on Smart Lock Beta 4.1.1
Some thread enabled Apple devices are in use.

Original post has been updated with release notes for the Smart Lock Beta 4.1.3
This Beta is adding bugfixes and stability improvements on the recently changed connection handling implementation (including optimizations for the Thread uplink).

The new feature can now be also tested in combination with the iOS version of the Nuki App: APP UPDATE: Nuki iOS App 2024.2.1-Beta (Improved Shortcuts) - #5 by Stefan_A

Please install this beta and provide your feedback via this channel - thank you!

Hi,

you can install the Beta without any issue, since you are using Apple devices (supposedly Home Pod?) you could actually bring your Smart Lock online without the Nuki Bridge.

So - if you are going for the Beta please send me your Nuki ID via private message upfront so that I can enable the Remote Access via Thread for you.

Please refer to this description on how to properly set up the Home Assistant to get the Remote Access working:

1 Like

Thanks Stefan,
There are 3 HomePods mini and an AppleTV as possible Thread Boarder Routers.

Is it possible to go back to Nuki Bridge as Remote Access Device if I install the 4.1.3 firmware and use Thread for Remote Access?
Is the paired Keypad still working as normal via Bluetooth ?
Will i am forced to pay the planned fee for thread remote access when the feature becomes official or can I return to Nuki bridge access then?

You can pair the Bridge again after the update and everything will work as before.
Keypad is not affected.

Since I have my new Smart Lock Pro (4) I have an instable WLAN connection to my Fritz Box 7590AX.
After 1 or 2 days the Smart Lock will lose the connection and I have to disconnect the batterie to get WLAN again. Reset the Router or only disable the WLAN of the Smart Lock will not help.
Support told me to try the Beta Firmware, but same problem here. Am I the only one with this Problem?

Original post has been updated with the additional information on using the compatible App beta versions:

Note:
Please use this firmware in combination with the most recent App beta versions:

Please install the App beta as well to get the full experience in utilizing the new remote access capabilities of your Smart Lock (4th Generation).

1 Like

Since the current beta update the lock looses the WiFi connection. Even a restart of the lock does not help.
Only if I restart the fritzbox 7580 it connects to the WiFi.

1 Like

I am trying to enable the debug mode on my SmartLock 4 Pro with door sensor. The lock is running Beta 4.1.3 and I am using TestFlight iOS app 2024.2.1 (2506), but when I click 6 times on the Functions and Configuration header it tells me I need to run the latest software on the SmartLock. What to do?

BTW the reason I need to run Debug mode is that I can use the lock with the front door in our small theater that has a “panic” handle on the inside that unlocks the door at all times, whereas the outer handle only opens the door when it is unlocked (either by key or by somebody using the inside handle before.), see Notification or Auto-Calication for cylinders with panic function

1 Like