Use magnetic door sensor with Auto Unlock

Product name

Smart Lock 2.0

Summary

Use magnetic sensor with Auto Unlock.

Features

With the increased Bluetooth 5.0 range the door will start unlocking when I’m further away from the door. This is sometimes so fast that when I’m at the door I have to manually unlock it because it had latched again. The idea is to leave the door unlatched until de sensor detects the door open and closed again. This is similar (actually inverted) with the use of the magnetic sensor with Lock ‘n go.

Reason

Increasing the unlatch time can be annoying because then, when I’m already inside, I have to wait for the lock to latch before walking away from the door (wind could open the door while unlatched).

Examples

I live in an apartment and this feature would be great to keep the door unlatched until I’m really inside. Because of the greater Bluetooth 5.0 range the door unlockes too early so that when I finally arrive at the door I find it often latched again. Increasing the unlatch duration is unpractical because then we have to wait around the door to make sure it’s properly latched.

Hi Elio! Thanks for the interesting suggestion.

You can already set the unlatch duration up to 30 seconds which may help in your case.
But I could imagine some setting like with lock & go where it is 20 seconds or door opened/closed; whatever happens first. (As you also have to note that we can’t really unlatch “forever” due to battery drain and security reasons.)

2 Likes

Hello,
It would also be cool if the latch is released when the door is opened.
If you set the unlatch time higher because of bluetooth 5 then you will have to wait until the set time has elapsed until you can close the door.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant: setting the unlatch time higher is not the best solution in my case. The best would be that the Nuki would latch when the magnetic sensor detects that the door is closed.

I agree with Torsten, it would be best if there was a Setting “stop unlatch upon door is opened” rather than after the door is closed as most doors dont snap in when in closed Position while unlatched - plus the nuki has more time to validate the door Status and release the latch.

I would really love to see this feature. Auto unlock was the key function for me and I believe also for many nuki users and adding the door sensor ability to make it even better makes really good sense.

… and maybe a good reason for nuki 1.0 users to upgrade to nuki 2.0!

Thank you!

4 Likes

Any update on this? For me also Auto Unlock is usually to fast. Releasing the latch after door is opened in combination with a max holding duration is an obvious solution. Why not implement it?

1 Like

I am not sure if this feature request makes sense.

In our case, the doors moves slightly once the latch is pulled. So if the latch is released, it cannot close the door again. So we release the latch after one second.
If that’s not the case with your door, I would install with double-sided adhesive tape a small spring plate that slightly opens the door.

I don’t think that pulling the latch for a long time is a good option, as this costs energy.
Releasing the latch after door is closed is a good idea, but I am not sure if the door sensor is reliable enough.
If your door opens too early because of bluetooth strength, I would reduce the signal level for bluetooth (I think that’s an option in the standard app, not only in beta versions?)

Interesting thought, but I think it’s not an easy task to tweak a door to open on latch pull. Or is there any product you can recommend?

Depends on your door, but I thought about something like this or this

Thanks, I’ll look into that for now I used a felt pad near the latch. Works so far. But I don’t know about the long run…

I would love to get a notification just for Auto Unlock succeeded since now everybody can open the door even though you cannot see from pure vision that it’s unlatched.

What do you mean by this? Do you want a notification on the phone that did the AU?

Yes that’s what I was saying…

You have a new feature for notifications in the Administration menu.
I have set to receive a notification when somebody unlocks the door manually, but I assume you can also set that you receive a message for an AU?

1 Like

Sorry Uwe, I dont get your point exactly or maybe you missunderstood the intention. It is intended to have as an option “Release latch upon opening” to keep the opening time - and thus the energy consumption- on a minimum level. In your case, the latch would then be released after a fraction of a second as the door opens - if you use the option at all. I see that having the door spring loaded for opening is one solution.

At the end however, I would feel very bad to have the door to spring open itself upon auto unlock. If it was mistakenly unlocked from the far or electric, mechanic, whatsoever error, it stays open. Having mechanical modifications to the door is also not the aim of a plug and play solution like the nuki lock is…

For me, at the moment, the most awesome feature of my nuki lock - auto unlock - is not usable, because sometimes the unlock is happening way to early or sometimes only when beeing really near. With the pulled latch, I cannot close the door as the latch is still open, so again, having a long opening time is not an option.

Dear Nuki Team, please please please be so kind to take this function as an option for the “advanced” menu in auto unlock to make this great product even better!

Thank you :wink:

What was meant is that the latch is released when the door is OPENED, so it is already unlatched while closing… …which is needed for making the closing effective!

I have the same problem. The door is start unlocking when I’m further away from the door. When I’m at the door I have to manually unlock it because it had latched again.

Is is realy frustating. The Auto-unlock was the fetaure why i bought nuki. But it works in my situation.

The best solutuiin ist a new option unlatch for x seconds or if the door is open (detect by magnetic). After time oder open depends what is first the dorr latched again.

Another new good option is the user can set a delay of x seconds before the auto-unlock starts.

The people without the problem must not set this settings. I have no problems to decieve the battery every month…

1 Like

Hello
Is this problem resolved or will it be resolved with the new firmware 2.6.0?

### roduct name

Smart Lock 2.0

### Summary

Use magnetic sensor with Auto Unlock.

### Features

With the increased Bluetooth 5.0 range the door will start unlocking when I’m further away from the door. This is sometimes so fast that when I’m at the door I have to manually unlock it because it had latched again. The idea is to leave the door unlatched until de sensor detects the door open and closed again. This is similar (actually inverted) with the use of the magnetic sensor with Lock ‘n go.

### Reason

Increasing the unlatch time can be annoying because then, when I’m already inside, I have to wait for the lock to latch before walking away from the door (wind could open the door while unlatched).

### Examples

I live in an apartment and this feature would be great to keep the door unlatched until I’m really inside. Because of the greater Bluetooth 5.0 range the door unlockes too early so that when I finally arrive at the door I find it often latched again. Increasing the unlatch duration is unpractical because then we have to wait around the door to make sure it’s properly latched.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Notifications not working / types of notifications

I have the same problem. The Lock should latching the door again when the sensor detects a open and close event, even the timer is still running.

1 Like

No. There are no changes to the door sensor (and the automatisms based on it) in 2.6.x.