Smart Lock offline

Nuki offline again. A lot of money for a lot of frustration. Bridge at 1 mtr. WiFi full but Nuki offline. Never leave the house without the normal key! Ask me to send the logs or update with beta software?! Please just fix it.

Same here, Nuki Smart Lock 2.0 went offline for no reason today, I tried to reboot the bridge but the only solution was to open / close the battery compartment to reboot it.

Firmware version: 2.5.4

This is a critical reliability issue, you can’t leave the house without a key since there’s no guarantee the Nuki will work when you get back.

Hey there. Same issue here. The problems started after I installed my nuki opener last week. I already did a factory reset of all devices (smart lock 2.0, bridge, opener) and moved the bridge closer to the other deices (2-3 meter). The crazy thing: when showing the bridge in the nuki app it shows that it is connected to both locks (connection: very good) and also it tells me that it´s connected to the server. When showing the connection status of smart lock or opener: connected via bluetooth to the app, the app is connected to the server, but the connection between server and bridge is broken (different to the status the bridge shows). Also tried another wifi (i had some issues with the ipv6 tunnel of unitymedia for sonos which was not able to reach their backend url in the past) but no help.

so either there is an issue in the bridge code or have you deployed some changes on backend side which end up in random connectivity issues of some clients? my current workaround is to activate the http api and run a nuki plugin on homebridge to reach my opener from outside (which is just kind of a rest request bridge to my local network).

Weird: The /info endpoint says that the bridge is connected. Should i open some port in my router for nuki?

{“bridgeType”: 1, “ids”: {“hardwareId”: MYID, “serverId”: MYID}, “versions”: {“firmwareVersion”: “2.2.13”, “wifiFirmwareVersion”: “2.0.0”}, “uptime”: 83829, “currentTime”: “2019-10-15T19:46:55+00:00”, “wlanConnected”: true, “serverConnected”: true, “scanResults”: [{“deviceType”: 0, “nukiId”: MYID, “name”: “Nuki_ MYID”, “rssi”: -51, “paired”: true}, {“deviceType”: 2, “nukiId”: MYID, “name”: “Nuki_Opener_ MYID”, “rssi”: -72, “paired”: true}]}

Hi Guys,

i have a short Update, maybe a workaround.
After some tryouts and troubleshooting I got the finding, that a friend of mine I´ve invited to my locks got remote access to my locks (he´s using an pixel 3 phone running android q). Myself (iOS 13 on iphone 11 pro) got no remote access. So what I did:

• I removed my own user from the locks (lock -> settings -> user management -> “Markus” -> remove).
  • Then the app shows “you´re not allowed to connect this lock” -> remove the lock.
  • Then I paired the locks and the app again (pressing the button 5 seconds and so on)

Tadaaa: I have remote access again.

So I assume that It´s kind of an issue in the initial setup routine when linking the locks with your phone, then with the bridge and so on. But if you have a working setup (bridge - locks network) and you add a phone/app to this it´s fine. I ran into the problems after I got a new phone and startet the setup from scratch, so maybe this was the trigger.

For me this helps (for now, not sure how long), maybe for some of you it will work too.

#M

1 Like

I only have access to the lock although this still span of it if my users give them remote access, if I only give them access via bluetooth, since it is without concession to a span of the lock, this is a shame, I think it goes have to put these problems publicly on youtube, to be solved once by nuki

I am not sure I understand you correctly. If it is the same issue you posted in the other topic, you can find my anawer there:

Same issue to me. My configuration is Nuki Smart Lock 2.0 firmware 2.4.5 + Bridge + Keypad and Nuki unexpectly go offline leaving me outside the door. Nothing working, also with keypad!

Please fix it ASAP otherwise we cannot use it with our Airbnb clients, it will be a miss of accountability generating bad reviews and making us lose money.

First please update your Smart Lock to the latest firmware.
In general: Did you get any specific errors (in App or activity log)?

No. It goes only offline and my client cannot access to the flat with app or keypad.
Could I update smart lock remotely? Because actually it’s occupied by my client.

Currently there is no way to update the firmware from remote (for security reasons and as a position detection drive is done at the end).

Can you still check the activity log for errors or is the Smart Lock still not reachable?

This is the activity log:

There are no errors, but around 19 Nuki was offline, because my client cannot access to flat with app and keypad. And also from my device Nuki was offline.

Any news on this issue? We are losing credibility and accountability on smart locking with our clients. I hope that you can understand

Yesterday the rollout of the new Bridge firmware 2.4.8 startet, which should rule out stability problems at that point.
Have you already been able to update the firmware on the Smart Locks?

Yes I have upgraded to last smart lock firmware. How is possible to upgrade bridge?

The bridge does update on its own. See also Nuki Bridge Firmware Release notes (public releases)

Thanks, this solved my problem.

In the app all connections seemed good (bridge, server, bluetooth). From the Nuki webinterface I could remotely control the lock, but with my iPhone the lock was offline. Deleted my user and reinstalled to app on my phone. All is perfect again :slight_smile:

I get that relatively often, as the v1 bridge’s wifi connection tends to be flaky. I see that v2 recently received firmware updates related to WiFi stability, but v1 hasn’t received any since last July: is anything coming?

(And I really wish for a v3 with 5 GHz wifi)

Hello Stephan. I need to operate my Nuki remotely as I am abroad and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. For a few weeks I have been experiencing the “offline” status for the lock on the iOS app screen. I cannot access or reprogram the lock and I am starting to get increasingly uneasy since I am unable to grant access to anyone should an emergency arise and the “offline” situation continues. I have tested the status in two mobile devices and also via Nuki web, to no avail.

I have noted also that the activity log, only visible via the Nuki web at the moment, reports the last activity as having taken place on Friday, 21.2.2020, however, the Nuki has been operated since then but these events are not reflected on the activity log.

The router is working well as all other smart gadgets including cameras are accessible from where I am 100% of the time. The router is a Huawei 5G CPE Pro (Model H112-370). Nuki is a V2 with a bridge which reported connection status early this morning at around 8:02am.

Please kindly advise. Many thanks.

Jav

Hallo Jav!

Can you please send a log-file from your iOS App to our support team at contact@nuki.io, so they can see what the App gets reported exactly.

This will also include the Smart Lock ID.

Could you try to lock the (e.g. already locked) Smart Lock via Nuki Web and include the result of that test? So they can check if it is a sync issue ot is is really offline.

Hallo Stephan!

Thank you for your guidance. My wife loves Austria, in particular the beautiful architecture, the viennese schnitzel in The Hotel Bristol, the beer and sausages on the street corners, and the theatres and opera house!

Nuki going offline
Although I have not heard yet from Nuki Support, I can report that the issue was a connectivity issue and it has been solved.

How it was solved?
I literally stood in front of the app for about 1 hour until the connection status went from “offline” to online for a few seconds, enough time for me to send the instruction to unlock the door’s deadbolt. My door has a smart nightlatch also (in addition to a main deadbolt operated by Nuki) operated by a third party smart solution, which safely closes / opens the door after the deadbolt is unlocked by Nuki. This third party solution works with wifi, bluetooth and a 4G card so it is always “online”. After unlocking the Nuki, I was able to open the nightlatch for a friend of mine who kindly entered the flat and reposition the Nuki bridge to a location closer to the Nuki lock. This allowed for the signal strength to go from yellow to green, and the lock has stayed online since yesterday.

What I have learned from this is that if the last leg of the connection between the Nuki unit and the Nuki bridge goes yellow on the app, even occasionally, there is no guarantee that the lock will remain online for an acceptable period of time. So for anyone reading this, if you want a reliable operation 24/7, make sure to test thoroughly and that in all your tests a green indication was obtained folks before you leave the building!

Bluetooth Range Issue
As it transpired, with the bridge unplugged, there is no issue operating the Nuki directly from a smartphone with bluetooth 4 or 5 even from double the distance the Nuki Bridge was originally placed in my flat. This may suggests the Bluetooth connection between the Nuki Bridge and the Nuki lock v2 is of different specification / quality than that between the Nuki lock and a Smartphone with Bluetooth 5.0 or 4.0. May I ask if this is the case and if so, are there any plans to improve the signal between the Nuki lock and its bridge to make it less “distance-dependable”.

The reason I am asking this is because for a smart lock to be truly 100% operational remotely, it has to be able to open the door even during a blackout or when the electricity is off in the flat, i.e. during a refurbishment. There is tendency to dedicate a special room or cupboard in people’s homes for the smart department. In my case this is the 2nd floor, where I have a location in my flat with a robust UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to which the home’s router, Nuki bridge, ethernet switch, and all gadgets are connected so they can continue operating everything for several hours in case of power cut. It would not be practical and economically feasible to have several UPSs in different places just because the operational range of a gadget is not optimal to ensure a proper operation. At the moment, although I have found the solution for Nuki Bridge to operate reliably and keep the Nuki lock “online”, I have exposed my smart locking system to not being operational remotely during a power cut unless I invest in a new UPS with a standard 240v socket (not DC outputs) solely for the Nuki Bridge, and these are expensive and not aesthetically-pleasant.

I hope this feedback is appreciated.

Best wishes

Jav