Smart Lock (4th Generation) - Set up Home Assistant for Remote Access via Thread

Thanks, deleting the Google Play Services data and cache solved the issue indeed. After deleting these and trying to pair the first slot, I got the message “Matter currently not available”, but re-installing the Google Home app solved that problem. I have now 3 working locks, super!

You also need the Matter server addon.

In the meantime I make it, thank you!
I have to synchronise the credentials in the HA app first.

2 Likes

This is the most important info, as everything else is automatic, you should add this to the manual.

thanks a lot
michael

Thanks a lot, restating the Nuki by removing the battery pack fixed it for me as well, this should be added to the manual
@Stefan_Reiterer

@marc I have set up Home Assistant with a brand new SkyConnect stick and have also synced the Thread credentials with my Android phone via the companion app. But when I try to activate Matter on my SmartLock 4 Pro in the NUKI app (while in BT range), it just shows a loading icon and nothing happens. So of course HA does not find the SmartLock when I just scan the Matter code and try to add it. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Exakt genau das Problem habe ich auch.
Nuki 4 Pro letzte Woche bekommen und alles aktualisiert.
Nach klick auf den “Aktivieren” Button dreht sich nur der Ladekreis und nichts passiert mehr.
Ich habe ich mich via Chat an den Kundenservice gewannt und man wollte mir eine Email mit Fehlerbehebungsanweisungen zuschicken. Eine Email ist nie angekommen. Toller Kundenservice.

Same like this Can't activate thread

1 Like

If the process via app does not finish and the Smart Lock does not light up to signal active commissioning mode, adding it to any ecosystem won’t work.

Please contact customer support through the Nuki App (Menu > Help > Contact Customer Support).
In this process error reports can be automatically added and will help identifying the issue.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the good explanations.

Can you please help me on this: i dont have as mentioned below only home assistant but also my nest hub listed as thread border router.

How can i remove it from the list please?

1. Click onto the entry and make sure that only one border router is listed

I have disconnections and unstability and i maybe suppose it could be a reason.

Thank you so much for you help as i didn’t find it how to do it.

I tried all of the above.
Skyconnect set correctly, synced the cc.
When trying to add the nuki via the ha, it stuck on checking the connectivity…
What can I do?

1 Like

I have the same issue. The lock is set to knob/bar, connected via SkyConnect Thread to the OTBR to the Matter plugin. I have rebooted the Home Assistant server, re-interviewed the lock multiple times. I only get “Lock” under Controls, “Door” under Sensors (I have the optional door sensor installed and calibrated) as well as the battery state. I have also confirmed the setting “Knob/Bar” in the NUKI app again.

Lock is a Nuki Pro HW v7.00, reporting FW v4.10 via Matter, but reporting v4.3.10 in the Nuki app, HA is v2024.8.2, OTBR is v2.9.1, Matter is v6.4.1, using a SkyConnect stick with the Thread firmware. No connectivity issues, remote access possible via NAT64, connection to NUKI servers established.

Side note: to make the lock connect to Thread, you need to use the NUKI app as described but be really close to the lock with your iPhone after you scanned and confirmed the QR code for the Matter setup to work. This is not described in the NUKI documentation.

1 Like

What options are shown if you tap on the locks name to open the locks UI?

1 Like

That’s what I get in the app! Hi btw!

1 Like

I meant the lock UI of HA (where you’re missing the option to open the door):

If it is missing there, you can open the Web UI of the Matter Server, find the Smart Lock in the list of nodes, open “Endpoint 1” then “DoorLock” and then have a look at the value of FeatureMap.

1 Like

I needed 61 “trials” before the lock finally “got into” or “registered” itself the Apple Home app via the Matter code. And after 9 days the Apple Home app reported that the lock was unreachable…. Then I needed again another 31 “trials”. I have installed 13 other Matter devices without any problems. My finding was also that the nearer to the lock, the greater the change that Matter “works”. The Nuki HelpDesk wrote me that they are working on a “new experience” for Matter, but did not give a timeline. I also found the difference in the reported firmware version very confusing, but no reply at all from Nuki on this “matter”.

EDIT: Nevermind, I’m silly. I didn’t realize that the unlatch shows up on the lock entity on HA, I expected it to be a seperate entity for some reason.

Just got the Lock Pro 4.0 and having the same issue. I connected the lock to Apple Home via Matter, then added it to HA with the “Add Matter Device” flow.

Configuration is Nuki FW 4.3.10; HA v2024.8.3; python-matter-server 6.4.0.

When I go to the Matter Server > FeatureMap, it shows:

I can confirm that this works now, you have to indeed click on the lock icon to get the “Open Door” view. Should this not be a separate entity, it feels a bit ‘hidden’ in the general context.

Also, are you planning to expose additional features via Matter, e.g. when someone enters a code via a connected keypad, etc.?

You need to raise this to the Home Assistant team since this is not up to us.

We do not comment about planned features here in the forum but keep in mind that for features like this we’re also dependent in what the Matter standard and also the ecosystems (Apple Home, Google Home, Home Assistant, …) support.

Thanks, Marc! It seems that at this point the MQTT integration is more powerful, but Matter might catch up. Since you guys are an important player in the ecosystem and the market leader, hopefully you can shape the direction where things are going with Matter, locks, and Home Assistant! Thanks for the hard work so far!