Battery elimination for Nuki 2.0

Hello,
Can I use this device to connect nuki 2.0 smart lock to an AC power outlet? No need of rechargeable batteries.

https://www.batteryeliminatorstore.com/index.php?id_product=56&controller=product

Replaces 4 AA batteries. Universal 100-240 VAC power source, 6 VDC up to 3 Amps output. Heavy duty version designed for use with high current applications.

Best regards. Sam.

3 Likes

Yes, 3A should be enough.

I’d love to know how you install this on a front door as you still need to plug in somewhere.

1- all four batteries would have to be inserted in nuki smart lock battery compartment.
2- a small hole would have to be made for the wire to pass through.
3- finally the power adapter would have to be connected to nearest power outlet. The power cable would go through the door to an electrical socket outlet by the hinge.

If everything worked fine we would not have the nuisance of having to recharge batteries periodically.

Regards.

1 Like

I agree this elimates the battery problem (which seems to always send me a notification that the battery is nearly spent even with new Lithium ones!!) but my question was directed to your point 3.
Wireless charging would solve the issue but not having this technology on 110/220v yet, I don’t see how after you plug the wire into the electrical outlet, you can then open the door (with a wire going from lock to outlet). I must be missing something :slight_smile: Maybe I can reroute the cable thru the door via the Hinges somehow and make a new electrical socket outlet by the hinge on the door. Need to think more on this.
If you do install it or find a solution would be grateful for a photo.

thank you for the clear response.

@Juergen Can you tell me what the specifications are to power the Nuki with an adaptor. What is the max voltage (V) and power in (A)

Thank you in advance.

The Smart Lock needs 5-6V and max. 3A.

1 Like

Hello.

1-I think that more than 35% of complains regarding Nuki are related somehow with battery which do not last long enough.

2- Many customers use Nuki in short rental apartments setting like airbnb with the inconvenience of having to replace battery with customers inside.

3- I feel that Nuki research department should explore the long term feasibility of battery elimination with the device that I suggested in the first post.

Regards.

3 Likes

I created a fixed power supply, without harming the housing of the lock. So if needed i can use batteries.
The adapter i used is https://bit.ly/2Vxohi4

3 Likes

Deadlifter.

Thank you for your experiment and its photos.
Your solution looks much less expensive than buying the device that I mentioned in the first post.
Could you please send a photo to show how you managed to connect the wires of the adapter inside Nuki?
There is an interesting WikiHow about this matter.

Regards

It’s very simple. I just took some wood, and formed it like 4 batteries. Drilled a hole and attached two screws on the wires. Just be sure it can move in the holder so the spring will push the fake batteries to the contacts.

3 Likes

I have one basic question: I am using rechargeable batteries (NiMH), they last for more than 2 months with 4 people using the main door 10-20 times per day.
It doesn’t really bother me if I have to change the batteries at such low frequency, I wouldn’t spend the effort with a fixed power supply.
What is your motivation?

Hi @ueffchen, my motivation was that batteries where draining in a week and that was not only because of Nuki but also because another api is controlling the state of Nuki. So i want to avoid empty batteries and for this investment in an adapter is cheaper then rechargeable cells.

1 Like

Hi @fvhuizen, why do you poll the Nuki?
I poll the bridge which is connected to power and caches the state of the Nuki if I am right.

And where do you think the bridge is getting the information from :slight_smile:

Sorry, took me some time to find the discussion, see here:
List versus Lockstate

1 Like

1- Using a power adapter with Nuki looks feasible as was nicely shown by @fvhuizen
2- I expect that a new firmware version may have an option to make Nuki know it is working with a power adapter instead of batteries.
3- In this way Nuki would not be sending warnings regarding low battery.

Hey there, anyone using a power supply for while to give any feedback, please? I installed a Nuki 2.0 recently and am already anticipating possible improvements I can make to reduce failure points. Thanks.

We are using Nuki on a frontdoor, with 4 people using Auto Unlock and Lock Operations frequently.
I would guess we have 10-20 operations per day, depends on weekday, school vacation etc.
I have a number of rechargeable NIMH batteries at home - from Ikea, Panasonic, Aldi… - I just use the one that is charged, never care about which one to use. The batteries usually last several weeks, I guess 6-8.
The warning is pretty reliable, we have never faced a situation where the Nuki didn’t operate anymore.
My personal take is: before starting to mount a cable on a moving door, with a power supply that has to be always connected, I stay with batteries.

Thanks @ueffchen, I have got two sets of eneloop and will give it a go. I’m just very conscious of battery usage and reliable notifications that I’ll always think on alternatives to eliminate single point of failures.