Today I had a weird encounter with my Smartlock 2.0:
After a long day I drove home from work with only ~7% battery remaining on my phone. I had it plugged to the car and was navigating trough android auto, so the location was up to date. Ring-to-open on the opener was triggered, but the flat door didn’t open and there was no auto-unlock notification, so I opened the door manually from the app (at 19:38, didn’t ask me “Are you sure, you are not near the door”, so the app must have known that I’m in the geofence). I put my phone on the desk and plugged it in later at ~20:35. At 20:45 the phone triggered Auto-Unlock.
This totally killed the peace-of-mind thinking for the moment. Technical info and preanalysis:
The Nuki app is excluded from the battery-saver (which was on at 7%). The geofence for the opener is set to 200m (b/c the garage is a bit more than 100m away), the geofence for the smartlock is set to 100m. Probably the os based location did not update after stopping the navigation in the garage and did only update when the battery saver went off at 20:45. So in my understanding, this is more an Battery Saver issue than a direct app issue. But it still is a big issue and the app should take this situation into consideration.
In my opinion, the app should not trigger auto unlock if
- Battery saver is on
- the phone has not been moved in a longer time (maybe use accelerometer events)
- the phone entered the geofence while charging
- the phone entered the geofence while being on battery saver
- location did not change for a longer time
- the door was unlocked manually from the phone before with the upper conditions in mind (I know there is a dead time of 2? minutes that prevents auto-unlocks after unlocks, but that does not help here)
Phone: Oneplus 8 Pro, Android 11 | App: 2.7.4 | Smartlock FW 2.9.10
I also had this issue once with my older HTC U11 (Android 10) ~2 months ago
I also took a error log from the app after the Auto Unlock that I can share.
Any input is appreciated, I really don’t want to turn off Auto-Unlock, but unlocking way after entrance is a no-go