Nuki Door Sensor 3.0 not responding after some time

Hello,

My Smartlock 3 auto updated to 3.4.0 and I can confirm my door sensor no longer works. After the update, the door sensor became unpaired. I paired it again and it seemed to work, however it has stopped working. The lock thinks the door is always closed. I have rebooted both the door sensor and the smart lock, however this hasn’t helped.

There are new betas for Smart Lock 3.0 (3.4.1) and Door Sensor (1.1.1) available. Please update your devices and let us know if you still experience the problem. If you’re not yet part of the beta here are infos on how to join the beta program.

The exact same problem I’m facing after upgrading to 3.0 from 2.0.

Please remind me why i paid to ‘upgrade’ for a worse/same faulty door sensor, and basically the same features i already had with my nuki combo+bridge :frowning:

I’ve had the same problem described since purchasing the door sensor in February. Opened a support ticket in March and after 1 round of “disconnect, reconnect, move the magnet,” Nuki Support sent a replacement sensor which worked for 2 weeks and then had a dead battery. After purchasing new batteries it worked for a week or two and then stopped again. Just signed up for the beta, and while doing so I see that my sensor battery is again “critical.” How long are the sensor batteries supposed to last and is that a symptom of this problem? If it helps, I currently have lock firmware 3.3.5, sensor firmware 1.0.17, and my door open warning is set to 2 minutes.

The batteries should last for at least 2 years. If they die earlier it could be faulty batteries or an environment that triggers the sensor much more often than expected. The sensor works with thresholds (open/closed based on magnetic field changes), which are trained during the calibration process and is very energy efficient while waiting for another threshold to happen. E.g. an unstable magnetic field or “bad” thresholds could lead to much more wakeups. → Changing the mounting position of the sensor and/or magnet could help. Please DM me pictures of your mounting position/door.

Communication problems with the Smart Lock could also be a potential issue for excessive battery drain. As i said above only a fraction of installations is affected, therefore please install the beta and report back if the issue occurs again. Thank you!

I still don’t have access to the Beta after requesting it. How can I get it?

today, so after 2 weeks, again - had to re-install it.

Do you have the latest door sensor and Smart Lock beta firmwares installed?

There is a new beta available for Smart Lock 3.0 (3.4.2). Please update your devices and let us know if you still experience the problem.

After 2 month I had the issue again.
So I removed the door sensor config, and tried to install it again, did not work (timeout while connecting to the app).
After removing the battery in the door sensor and inserting it again, the LED started flashing immediately and I could not connect.
Changed the door sensor battery → same issue.
Rebooted the lock by removing and inserting the battery back, door sensor stopped flashing and reappeared in the app.
Did a new calibration and now it works again… Let’s see for how long.

BTW, the old door sensor battery still measures more than 3,6V, so it does not look like an issue with the door sensor battery.
Running last official software on lock and sensor.

Thank you for the report, but what we would really need is feedback from someone who is affected (or not affected anymore) AND using our latest beta software.

Totally understand this, but I’m too long in the IT business to run beta software on a security related device :wink:

In the absence of others, I can give an interim update. I got access to the beta on 4 August and installed 3.4.1 on my lock and 1.1.1 on my sensor. The lock started reading the sensor again without removing/re-pairing and has been working fine. On August 13 I installed 3.4.2 and thus far it’s still working fine, reporting without issues. That’s only ~ 7 days on 3.4.1 and ~5 days on 3.4.2 but it’s some of the longest periods I’ve had of working sensor so far.

2 Likes

I contacted Nuki support about the faulty door sensor. I asked for beta access a month ago but haven’t heard from them.

Instead they sent a replacement that worked perfectly for exactly 4 days before stopping to work again.

I’m again back to the start, and no access no the beta program, with a buggy device.

1 Like

Today it happened again.
I marked the last two resets in my calendar, and it worked the last two times for exactly 1 week. Maybe this helps to fix it…

my door sensor has the same problem. in the 2 day rhythm nuki recognizes the sensor as removed. i have already repositioned it, changed battery and recalibrated again and again. even my smart lock was replaced. no success for the sensor problem. i dont run beta. to long in the it business for betas in a security field. please solve!

Same for me - I installed SmartLock 3.0 pro and the door sensor months ago and it all worked well until a few weeks ago I recognized that Lock‘n‘Go would wait its default time before locking the door.

Recalibration of the sensor did not solve the problem so I chose to deactivate and reactivate the sensor. This then worked well for some hours (!) only and then it all of the sudden stopped working again.

Today I repositioned sensor and magnet to exactly comply with Nuki‘s installation guidelines, I‘ll keep you updated how it is going.
LockFW: 3.3.5
SensorFW: 1.0.17

Hey guys, after having problems with my Nuki doorsensor (not responding no more) I ended up on this thread last week and decided to ask for the beta firmware. Today (week later) I got access and installed both beta’s (Lock 3.4.2, Doorsensor 1.1.1) and have the same experience as Hayden. The lock started reading the sensor again without reinstalling anything. I use HomeAssistant and see that it is stating the correct status again after a week of the same frozen status.

Will monitor this for 2 weeks and come back to you if it is still working/stable.
Maybe @hayfever can tell us if it is still stable on his side.

BTW: If you want to become beta, provide both id’s. So the Nuki lock as well as the doorsensor. Saves time :wink:

Cheers!

I am at 40 days so far with a working sensor on the beta firmware. The only problem I have had recently is a problem where the lock sporadically (3 times in the last 10 days) decides it is jammed and defective and tells me to contact Nuki support for a replacement. Locking my door manually and then unlocking it seems to fix, can’t tell if it’s firmware related, power related, or a hardware problem. Since it might be firmware related, I’m running the Nuki Power Pack which is at 76% (was 80% when I had my last error), with the current beta firmware on lock and sensor. If I run a Battery Report it says the number of locking/unlatching are fine and no stiff door, but has warnings that there are a high number of door sensor state changes and lots of communication via bluetooth which have a negative effect on battery life.

I celebrated too soon…
After 1 day it is in broken state again. Doorsensor stays in closed state. No more updates.