Nuki Bridge Ohne Server nur Wlan

Hallo nuki Team,

Ich habe für meinen Verein die smartlock, opener Bridge Konstellation eingerichtet. Dabei stellt sich mir nun folgende Frage.

Setup: An der Wohnungstür würde ejn smartlock (funktioniert einwandfrei) angebracht. An der Gegensprechanlage würde der opener angebracht (app funktioniert soweit). Klingel ist noch nicht getestet. WLAN Router ist eingerichtet und mit der Bridge verbunden, die Bridge ist mit dem Opener gekoppelt.

Das WLAN reicht bis zum hauseingang.

Kann ich rein mit nuki Komponenten (app und hw) über das WLAN der Räumlichkeiten den opener ansteuern und wenn ja welche Konfiguration müsste ich am WLAN Router vornehmen.

Jedesmal wenn ich über das WLAN auf den opener zugreifen bekomme ich keine verbindung

Please contact our support via the Nuki App (Menu > Help > Contact Customer Support) for more detailed information.

This forum is focused on developer related issues.

I was referred to the forum by the support

Nice loop.

Accessing Nuki products from remote via the Nuki App or Nuki Web always uses the Nuki server. You can’t connect locally, even when the Smart Phone and the bridge are in the same WIFI. i.e. the bridge always needs internet access if it should provide remote access to the Nuki Apps. If remote access to the Opener through the Nuki App does not work, something with the basic setup of your Opener & Bridge combination is not ok. The help section inside the Nuki App or the Nuki support should be able to help with this.

If you are a developer you can turn on the http-api of the bridge and use it locally for integrations into your Smart Home or any other stuff that a developer might find useful :wink:

If I understand your reply, the opener in combination only works with internet access even if the setup of the opener only uses invite only users.

So basically unless the bridge has access to the nuki servers the WLAN can be used to open the main building door via nuki app?

I do not understand what an “invite only user” is.

The Nuki Apps can access the Opener via bluetooth locally, if you are within bluetooth range of it.
Every other form of access to the Opener requires a bridge with internet access.

“Invite only” was meant for the users added via the app to the opener to only allow them access.

You explained the key problem in my solution which is basically the “mandatory” internet access of the bridge which in my opinion is a shame because the access rights for each user are available in the opener administration and the connection of the bridge would not necessarily require the nuki server for authentification, if you understand what I mean.

In the end I will have to set up the Dauermodus via app and have to return the bridge as it does not work as intended for this scenario.

The authentication is always done inside the Opener, not on any Nuki server. i.e. digital keys and security relevant information stays inside the Opener at all times.

The Nuki server is only a communication gateway (router) which ensures that the Opener is accessible from remote. If your invited users are within bluetooth range of the Opener, they can operate it even without bridge.

So what you are saying is

1. with an accessible WLAN for both bridge and smartphone the nuki server would not be necessary
  2. situation 1 is not possible due to the current functionality provided by your software?

I hope you will make this available in your Future updates… The locationsetup for the environment that I am setting up will not have internet but has WLAN and therefor it would be a shame if nuki does not support out of the box local WLAN communication between the central WLAN router and the bridge. Which is actually embarrassing to be honest since the bridge has to connect to a WLAN router anyway to access any sort of communication.

Not sure if you fully understood how Nuki works. Anyhow, the bridge is an accessory for remote access. There is bluetooth for local access (and Smart Lock as well as Opener are fully functional with bluetooth only). There is hardly any need for a bridge that works only locally, except for Smart Home integrations for which there is an HTTP API.

A local only operating mode with “local remote access” via the bridge with fully working Nuki Apps currently does not exist. In your scenario you can either use bluetooth or you organize internet access for the bridge or you work with fixed time slots and continuous mode for the Opener.

This is as I understood your feedback.

Do you have a recommendation for the WLAN smart home integration scenario? As we do not intend to establish an internet connection at the location where the opener will be used?

Since the building structure doesn’t let the opener bluetooth connection reach as far as the main building entrance. 20m through 2 building levels…

If the possibility of a blue tooth extender is also a viable option I would appreciate your feedback/recommendation on this.

Without Internet, you will not be able to use the Nuki app on Wi-Fi only, or any of the Nuki Web functionality:

• The app always talks to the Nuki servers over Wi-Fi and the servers relay the commands to the Bridge, which then relays them to the Lock/Opener via Bluetooth. Alternatively, the app can talk to the Lock/Opener direcly via Bluetooth.
  • Nuki Web obviously runs on the Nuki servers, which are on the Internet.

Your only alternative to run this without Internet is to have your own server in your WLAN which can talk to the Bridge using the Nuki API. (Bridge HTTP-API). Your phones would then need to talk to that server whenever they want to send commands to the Lock/Opener via the Bridge. This setup is beyond the scope of what Nuki provides out of the box. (You probably won’t be able to contact Nuki support to ask for help setting it up.) Configuring the UI, Automation, Scripting, or whatever other functionality you want (separate users, guest access), would be up to you.

An example could be a server running Home Asssitant (https://www.home-assistant.io/), which has a Nuki API integration (Nuki - Home Assistant) that works locally. Your Bridge, Home Assistant Server, and clients (phones, …) would need to be able to talk to each other (be on the same WLAN, or have routing set up between networks to carry the traffic).

1 Like