Nuki 3.0 Pro looses connection despite AP is next to it

The Nuki 3.0 Pro disconnects from Wifi when it can’t reach the Nuki Cloud over the Internet. So your problems may not be Wifi related at all.

2 Likes

How do you measure performance?
Is it slow or unreachable?

It was more or less unreachable until I made the changes suggested by TriNi:

• enabling “Multicast Enhancement”
  • lower densitiy of “802.11 Rate and Beacon Controls” to 6Mbps

now it seems all the time reachable, but with a poor connection which I do not observe with other IoT devices

This is most likely due to the power saving mechanisms of the Smart Lock (it’s running on batteries, which most other devices don’t) and has no real life impact. i.e. in reality it is not “poor”.

If you are on a beta firmware, you can try to change the power saving of the Smart Lock to “middle” and set your networks DTIM to 3. This might increase the “WiFi experience” score, but will reduce the battery life of the Smart Lock (with no added value).

The comparison of wifi quality with USB powered devices might be a bit unfair, though. I understood, that a battery powered device has not always a good connection. My point would be rather that some tweaks in the unifi controller significantly improved the connection quality:

Screenshot 2023-09-18 145627

however, there are still some “off”-times which means that the door lock can’t be controlled with wifi (home assistant). But this is a central KPI - at least to me. Furthermore, with other APs, it seems to work better? This and the tweaks I made let me think we are looking at a software related issue, right? Either on unifi or nuki side. I would already be happy if I find the right tweaks to get to a stable connection. Any suggestions what might cause the issues with my UAP-AC-LR AP?

Maybe there is something in this post that helps: Smart Lock Pro working with Ubiquiti Unifi

Last 7 days I am experiencing lot of failures to control 3.0 Pro over the API. Locks are unreachable over the network.
Last week I was advised to wait for 3.7.7. fw, which I have already (actually 3.8.0). But still facing failure’s.

In my traces, the lock is offline or state doesn’t change after command, or I am getting Locked http response status.

I am facing these issues on my lock (demo) as well as on my customers locks - which is worse as they really want to use it. Failures rate is 25% in avg. But yesterday my customer had 80% of fails and that is far from acceptable. (a month ago he had none).

I read here that rollout of 3.7.7. fw has been paused. Are you having some known issues?

I am pretty frustrated with stability of web/api connection. It is very difficult to diagnose. Operation fails also from web.nuki.io.

How can I diagnose or see why the lock is offline? Can I pull some traces from lock?

Received my smart lock yesterday - after the initial excitement, I installed it, set it up and found I am not able to connect it to wifi. at all. from either an ios and an android client.

upgraded to the latest available firmware, 3.7.7, to no success. I have set up an isolated guest network on my router (netgear rax40), set the security to both wpa2 and wpa/wpa2. still no connection. unfortunately, my low-end router does not allow much advanced customization, however it does have basic logging and it always reports the below messages:

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 34:10:f4:, Sat,Oct 07,2023 05:08:33

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 34:10:f4:, Sat,Oct 07,2023 04:07:58

It looks like the lock tried reconnecting every hour, to no success. no idea what the incorrect security message refers to, but since I know the password is setup correctly, I am assuming it is some sort of hand shake error.

fortunately, I do have some time available for testing before returning it. I do not have a smart home setup to try, but I will test a different router and maybe a beta firmware - however, I see this issue has been going on for more than a year. and a pro lock without wifi capability doesn’t really make sense…

If you change the security settings of the router you will have to disconnect and reconnect the Smart Lock to the Wi-Fi again afterwards, because the used security method is stored when the Smart Lock initially connects.

I’m having constant issues with my Nuki lock and being unable to access it remotely. It will constantly connect and disconnect from the network for no apparent reason. It’s only about 3 meters away from the access point and I have tried every setting I can see mentioned in this post with no success. Any ideas?

Has anyone find the solution for this? I’m also on unifi environment and this week started to see exactly the same behavior. It constantly disconnects and connection is not maintained.

@Juergen my wifi stats report failure stage of DHCP for the nuki — not sure if that helps anyway. But all my other clients have no issues on that stage and I have plenty esp8266 clients.

1 Like

I tried to ping my Nuki (3.0 Pro) every 30 seconds and had no disconnects anymore. Maybe this could be a workaround for you.

That may work, but doesn’t seem reasonable at all. That’s absurd.

I’m using Home Assistant, so it’s no big deal.

But as far as I know, they are investigating the problem.

I have a 3.0 Pro and a couple of weeks ago I switched my router to a UniFi Express.

I’m now constantly having connection issues. Seems like a particular issue with UniFi routers from what I can read here. Also when I switch back to my old Eero 6pro seems to work OK all the time.

I created a new SSID where the Nuki connects (it’s only for the Nuki) following this configuration but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

I’m very frustrated as I usually lock my door when I’m already outside the apartment. Who can I contact? What can I do?

Is there a solution for this? I see this thread and I see no solutions. This might be enough reason to activate a warranty request since I got my Nuki just a few months ago.

My Nuki 3.0 Pro has also suddenly started to drop WiFi connection on Unifi APs. It worked without issues since I got it in April up until end of last year, at least it was still working in September, when I added some fingerprints to the pad and looked at the connection status.

I noticed a few days ago that it had dropped WiFi connectivity. I did set it up again but after a few minutes it dropped out again, and won’t reconnect.
I have a 2 ghz only ssid setup, and HomeKit integration still works…

Firmware is 3.7.7

Quick Update:

I got contacted by Stefan from Nuki who offered to include my Nuki device on the Beta firmware.

The beta firmware (3.8.2) seems to have solved all connectivity issues with the Unifi Express.

I’ll keep monitoring the connection and report back if something changes, but so far, issue seems to be gone.

Thanks to Stefan for his quick and reliable support!

1 Like

@Juergen can you tell me the difference of the WiFi quality indicators? What does the 2 mean and the 15? Because in my network I either have 2 (when nuki is stable connected) or 15 when I have a lot of drops but never other number.

Thanks.

Basically it tells how many data packets the Smart Lock receives on average per minute that are not related to data transfer with the Nuki server.

I.e. if you have many devices in your network that somehow send data to the Smart Lock or distribute data in the network that also reaches the Smart Lock, this value will go up. The lower the value, the lower the power consumption of the Smart Lock should be. The usefulness of this number has changed since the launch of the integrated WiFi, because the firmware became better at ignoring unwanted data before it even reaches the lock. That’s why it is hidden in the App and only used by Nuki support to understand specific problems.

Thank you for the clarification. Although I still don’t quite get why I see either 2 or 15, seems like hardcoded values for different parameters/conditions.