Make HomeKit/Nuki mapping selectable to enable users to trigger the “Unlock” command to the Nuki Smart Lock 2.0 instead of triggering the “Open Door” command

That is why Apple should implement something for latches. Then its deeply integrated. Until then I think making it possible to use any Nuki action with Shortcuts in iOS 13 will be the solution for now.

I agree: something that I really love of my (very short) experience with Nuki so far is that, just using few easy steps, it automagically configures itself for the average Joe, but it exposes all the options needed for a deep customization for any advanced user. The same should apply to these options if implemented: Nuki should autoconfigure itself in a reasonable configuration for HomeKit (probably just one simple lock like right now), letting advanced users to further customize the behaviour.

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

I might be very wrong, but I think Nuki actions with Shortcuts would only make shortcuts activate Nuki native app actions… this isn’t a workaround for the HomeKit shortcomings, since it would require either being near the lock or using a Nuki Bridge.
I don’t want to use a Nuki Bridge, I want the remote control of my lock being handled only by Apple cloud/security, so I’d like to have one or more HomeKit lock exposing all the features and making difficult to accidentally unlatch the door.

Regards.

Valid point to use homekit only. Thats why I still have Lock v1 and the bridge and of course my plugin. Now with shortcuts being able to use Homekit some complex shortcuts are possible, like „on shortcut unlock my door if it is locked otherwise unlatch it“ :wink:

Elaborating this point further… as stated before I’d like to have all options, but if you want to reduce them to the bare minimum for end user friendliness, I think we should have at least just one additional option: Enable unlatch lock default value false.
When false we get a single HomeKit lock behaving just like now.
When true the current lock would lock and unlock the door, without unlatching and we get the secondary unlatch lock that just unlatches (and says unlocked for the few seconds the door is actually unlatched).
We should also get a HomeKit contact sensor as described here: HomeKit Contact Sensor

Regards.

2 Likes

@Juergen
Please implement that feature request! I also want that HomeKit only unlocks the door when I press unlock!! Currently it is opening, which is dangerous!!!

Just make 2 HomeKit behaviors between everyone can choose: Unlock and Open OR only Unlock. Why is this so hard? I thin John, his kids and even Apple will understand that!

How can one control nuki in iOS 13 shortcuts for now? I can not find the nuki app in the shortcuts app and when I do control the nuki lock by the Home app in the shortcuts app, then I also see only lock or unlock and no other options. So what do you mean?

4 Likes

Isn’t it easy to just expose 2 different locks to homekit? Instead of 1 button, you will have 2 buttons on the home app.
You can make it so they have different names and their behavior can be adjusted from the app.
Lock/Unlock
Lock/Open
You can also integrate the door sensor to this setup for getting better data from the door state.
The only issue is, you have to press two buttons on the homekit to fully open the door if it is in the locked state. (First Unlock then Open)
At least until Apple resolves this functionality on their end.
I was browsing the market for a homekit enabled smart lock. I was really envious of August Smart locks. Then I found Nuki. I was just about to buy 10+ units for my apartment and office and saw this thread. For now, I will just wait until this issue resolves.

5 Likes

It would be wonderful because if just pressing the button opens the door, it would be a double verification

I would really like to see this feature implemented.

Yes it would be even more elegant if Apple did the right thing (by distinguishing between locked and open) but HomeKit doesn’t get developed very fast.

Right now I keep the lock in HomeKit but worry about an accidental remote unlock, which would actually open the front door (since it’s a door knob setup).

As I stated in my comment here:

If noone is home, your home/apartment would just stay open until you would be able to get someone there to close the door for you, which could be a very long time!

I do think this is a very dangerous flaw in nuki’s homekit integration and can’t believe this wasn’t addressed in almost 3 years? Even the nuki app itself has an option to double-check whether you really want to open the door if you are not in the vicinity.

This renders the HomeKit integration on nuki completely useless in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve recently become a Nuki Smart Lock 3.0 Pro user and came across the very issue discussed here. From my perspective as a developer and a user who relies heavily on HomeKit for home automation, I find the current HomeKit implementation both misleading and potentially dangerous, especially for doors with outside knobs.

• HomeKit’s “unsecured” should reflect Nuki’s “Unlock,” not “Open Door.” These are not the same, especially for doors with external knobs.

• This potentially lowers the security level, as triggering an “Unlock” action could inadvertently open the door, leaving the home vulnerable.

HomeKit’s API terms and Nuki’s actions need to be in sync. An ‘unsecured’ state in HomeKit shouldn’t translate to a door literally being wide open. This is a flawed implementation that needs immediate attention.
Until Apple updates HomeKit constants, allowing users to define their preferred mapping between Nuki and HomeKit actions within the Nuki iOS app can be a good temporary fix.

The current situation has led me to reconsider the supposed ‘smartness’ of my smart lock, questioning whether it’s enhancing or diminishing my home’s security. I hope Nuki will promptly address these significant issues.

1 Like

Now that Nuki smart lock 4 is announced, it is also confirmed that Matter 1.2 will have the distinction between unlock and open. Since HomeKit supports Matter, I was wondering if it is expected that Apple will update HomeKit so that it will also make a difference between opening and unlocking, following the Matter standard.

I realise that this is something Apple will need to answer and confirm but maybe it’s obvious knowledge and that this is expected to do so.

3 Likes

Hi, i don’t agree with that, HomeKit doesn’t supports Matter as per say, in fact it’s the Home App that supports Matter (and AirPlay 2 for the record), so no, i don’t think Apple will do anything to HomeKit regarding to Matter support for unlock/open.

The last HomeKit spec update is 2 years old. It’s unlikely that Apple will change much in HomeKit going forward.

With the launch of a new Smart Lock featuring Matter support, instead of updating the existing Smart Lock 3 Pro to support Matter (similar to Philips’ approach with the Hue Bridge update for Matter support), it’s evident that Nuki’s marketing strategy prioritizes selling new products over supporting current users.

This long-standing, highly requested feature for selectable mapping would have been implemented by now if their focus was different. As a disappointed customer, I will no longer purchase Nuki products and cannot recommend them to others.

My advice is to avoid spending time creating feature requests or explaining what’s already clear. Instead, focus on finding more robust, reliable, and customer-centric solutions.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the correction.

If the home app supports Matter 1.2, will this feature likely be implemented there? Or is that unlikely because it is depended on the underlying HomeKit.

Interesting thought. You think that because Matter will take it over?

This is up to Apple if they do it and when.

Apple is one of the major promoters of Matter and very active member in the CSA (the standardization organization behind Matter). It’s obvious that they focus on Matter and integration of Matter features into Apple Home rather than further development of the HomeKit standard.

1 Like

We stated very openly - much more open than anyone else - that a new hardware iteration for almost all products that move to Matter will be needed, because of the high ressource demands that Matter has. i.e. older Smart Locks can not run Matter.

Philips Hue Bridge 2
Launch date: Oct 2015
Matter update: YES

Nuki Smart Lock 3 Pro
Launch date: Nov 2021
Matter update: NO

Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

1 Like