Audio Integration with opener

Hi,

I wasn’t able to comment on the other threads on this topic so i’ve started a new one.

I was pretty excited to learn that the Opener was compatible with my Comelit intercom, but on further inquiry I learned that you couldn’t speak to the person who had buzzed at the entrance panel. I’m trying to figure out when I would ever just open the door when buzzed, not knowing who was at the other end, and I can’t come up with a single use case. Further, given my building (and many) don’t have an audible release sound for the door how would anyone know I had opened it? You need some way to verify that the person buzzing is in fact someone you are willing to let in to your building (at an absolute minimum) and some way to let the person buzzing know that you are there! I honestly think that this product without two-way audio integration is just a white elephant. Given this is a fatal flaw in the product design, is there any plan to rectify this?

6 Likes

I completely agree. You would want to speak to the person before allowing entry, particularly in flats where people buzz your door but are after a different flat. Can we at least know if this feature is possible and if so a likely time frame?

2 Likes

I think they would have implemented it already, because the wires are there, so they wanted to give opener this functionality, but the opener has only a speaker and no microphone, and you would speak over the smartphone with someone who was ringing, and I think its not easy to build a reliable and fast enough connection for this, - for example, - someone rings, the opener have now in seconds inform you, and when you take the call it have to make really fast a reliable and fast two way connection, and I think for getting this to a good working functionality, they would have setup a subscription service, because the server for it will not be cheap.

1 Like

Rose, nest handles audio and 1080 video I believe with its video doorbell. We are only talking audio which is significantly smaller amounts of data. The highest bitrate for streaming highest quality audio on spotify I believe is 320 kps which is about 2 mb a minute. 1080p video at 60fps is about 5000kps. So, surely bandwidth could not be a problem whatsoever…Sure, there may be a delay but not to warrant not doing it…Obviously it is a lot of development but clearly it’s been done with video and audio already…I know that the doorbell uses wifi and significantly more power but bluetooth will handle audio.I see it that the audio would go via bluetooth from opener to the bridge then out over the web. What would be nice is if it could be communicated whether nuki think it is possible and if so whether they will implement it and a very rough timeframe. At least we could know whether we had to shell out for another doorbell…

1 Like

You are right, its done, but not very often with reliable success, - ring cams, arlo cams, and others, have all issues to get a fast enough and reliable connection, when someone rings, their forums are full of this issue, and in some cases it works better in some not so. I wanted a doorcam, and have informed me much about, but in the end I have let it go, because it works not reliable enough. For the nest its a other story, they really get something to work, but it’s also expensive. Do you have a link, to a nest doorcam? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Rose (nice chatting to you). From experience, what I’ve learnt is that it is essential to have a mesh network as your smart devices grow. I’m not talking wifi extenders, I’m talking mesh.This will make how your devices run much more reliable. The reason for this is that the signal coverage around your home is dramatically improved, they are also clever enough to switch channels seamlessly if there are clashes with your neighbour streaming on same channel. On top of that a mesh is designed to run more devices as they have decent processors inside them.When you think about it I.S.Ps tend to give you a generic router and lets face it they aren’t going to give you state of the art stuff. The network traffic is moved around much more efficiently and orderly with mesh. I have a few cameras in various rooms which were unreliable without mesh. I have set them up with static ip addresses as some devices are less agile than others when it comes to their address changing and it is like night and day now. Rock solid. I would say network is the most important thing with video streaming. As we discussed, video takes a lot of bandwidth. I have the nest wifi and it obviously integrates well with google home. Amazon does the eero which is wifi 6. Nest is only wifi 5. Unless you have a 1gb/s internet connection though wifi 6 isn’t needed. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links in this forum so what I’d suggest is just watching nest hello reviews on youtube (which is google’s doorcam). See if it gives you the functionality you need. I believe eufy do a decent one which is cheaper. Another consideration is subscription fees. A lot charge you for the privilege of streaming and saving video to the cloud. So that’s why I’m keen to get audio instead from nuki as you wouldn’t need it saving to the cloud you would just want to listen and nothing else. Plus a smart doorbell would require wiring up for power as it’s wifi - there are still range issues if your flat is very far away and you need permission from a freeholder of the building to install…x

1 Like

Hello! (Nice to chat with you too!)
You are right, I have noticed this in my home system, where I have wifi plugs and zigbee plugs (and the hue lights and bridge is also zigbee), and I have learned, that the zigbee system (what is a mesh system), is faster and it works on spots same fast and without any issue, where the wifi cannot reach at all or is not good there, - to now I was not thinking about this, but you are right, a mesh system could really do the trick! And thanks for the Infos about the doorcams, will look into it!
Have a great day!

Rose, If you do change to mesh it should take you 5 minutes. When you do the setup call it the same name as your current wireless but with an “x” at the end. Put in the same password as your wireless. You then turn the wifi off on your old router. Once done just remove the “x” from mesh. Effectively you would then have same ssid and password as your current set up. All your smart devices connect using ssid/password so as they are the same they would just connect seemlessly…
The beauty of this is that you can then change your internet provider and literally have to do no configuration as your settings are held on mesh network.
x

Wow, thats really cool! Will definitely try it! Thanks!

I tried to put this feature as a feature request.

Look & vote!

Hopefully it will be implemented

This is a must security feature. You don’t open the door without knowing who you open the door for…