App for Garmin watch

It would be lovely to see an official Garmin way to use Nuki, specially considering how widespread Garmin smartwatches are now.

Hi Stefan,
If you find a way to solve the control without a phone, I like to sponsor the development.
p.

1 Like

Thats something for Garmin and Nuki :wink:

1 Like

There are various potential solitions that require a Nuki Bridge and a mobile phone in your Pocket.
But this will not help for the use case when you go for outdoor sport with just your Garmin watch. For this use case we need a solution where the Garmin watch directy communicates with the Nuki lock over BLE.

I wonder what’s missing to get the development started:

• It seems there’s a lot (personal feeling) of interest in getting this app.

• We even have some users who offered to pay for this solution (although I would assume that we all might not be able to estimate possible costs)

• This request is also on the feature-request page and it performs pretty well in the voting

So I guess it would still be worth for NUKI to give us at least some details on their perspective regarding some next steps.

If this post needs more likes I’m happy to recruit more fans but what’s the real showstopper right now? Any idea?

A few general comments:

• We do not communicate our timelines, priorities and roadmaps in the public
  • Collecting votes and gathering fans certainly helps to raise the visibility of a feature request.
  • One reason for opening up our APIs was that anybody can build integrations which we - for whatever reason - can not or do not want to build and maintain on our own. A Garmin watch app needs the Bluetooth API

Hello,
is there a workaround for Garmin,like ifttt? I only need a button for nuki opener,the smartlock open automatically.

Hi,

I am a software developer and I’d like to get my hands dirty on this.

Starting from API version 3.10 Connect IQ (Garmin) seems to support direct BLE communication using the GATT profile.
Unfortunately, the API is only available on these devices (see https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/b/news-announcements/posts/connect-iq-3-1-connects-you-to-the-world)

• Edge 1030
  • D2 Delta Series
  • fēnix 5 Plus Series
  • Forerunner 245 Series
  • Forerunner 645 Music
  • Forerunner 945
  • MARQ
  • vívoactive 3 Music

Furthermore, to develop and test a BLE CIQ app in the simulator, you need a Nordic BLE development dongle (https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-tools/Development-Kits/nRF52840-Dongle).

I unfortunately own a vivoactive 3 (without music) which is not compatible…

If anybody likes to sponsor development and the dongle, a compatible garmin device and a Nuki smart lock (cannot remove our Nuki lock from the main door and take it into the office for programming experiments) - feel free to contact me and let’s get started.

Thanks,
Jörg

3 Likes

Dear Jörg, I appreciate your offer to look into developping a Garmin CIQ app! From what I can see the Nordic BLE development dongle is roundabout 10€. I think NUKI should show some interest in the topic as integrations in the Garmin Eco System is for their own benefit. Maybe this interest can result in sponsorship of a proof of concept. I believe a PoC can be accomplished without the watch, just using the simulator.
Did you contact NUKI to ask for support in developping such App?
I have a compatible watch and would support you as beta tester.
Cheers, Tom

2 Likes

Hello,

just a short status update:
Thanks to @palarec I have now got a vivoactive 4, the NRF dongle and finally a working development environment. :heart:

I’ll keep you all updated about further developments. I’m currently also working on an academic thesis, so I’d like to ask you for a little bit of patience. Anyway, I am trying to deliver a PoC asap!

Jörg

7 Likes

Hi guys, I released a Nuki Bridge Opener.
This app need a Bridge and smartphone. For now, when I go out for a run**, I leave my phone near door for open.
I started developing the bluetooth application.
However, it will be a different application

**It’s a joke :rofl: because I live in Italy and any outdoor activities are blocked.

6 Likes

Hi Allesandro, I hope you are fine! Any news you could share with us regarding the bluetooth app?

Its says not compatible with my Fenix 5 plus

In der aktuellen Umfrage für Neuerungen gibt es die Möglichkeit Garmin Geräteunterstützung zu wählen. BITTE mitmachen, vielleicht hilft es ja.

Found this today and thought it might be interesting for this thread as well.

Please vote for the feature request:

my new nuki 2 pence.

the smart lock could make our home more secure, or it could be an IT trojan.

if all it takes to open the door with a device is touch a button, then we arguably are at the same level as turning the key, for a thief that may control that device.

but if touching the button involves providing an ever updating password, or at least identifying to the device (say, biometrically), then the new method would be much more secure than our rusty keys.

i don’t know how happy a garmin watch would be to pair both to our phone and the lock, especially if we leave the phone by the door (but inside).

but most garmin watches could communicate with other bluetooth devices in ant+ mode, so that garmin themselves would probably be glad to cooperate to such effort.

good luck my new friends,
alex

hello alessandro,
thank you for your program!
i will be glad to install it too.
but please allow for a password input condition.

best wishes,
alex

hello joerg,

i will happily buy you the dongle. you could achieve much more.
direct communication of the lock with garmin watches will give great security improvement, especially if you’ll implement a password or other challenge.
the problem could be, whether the watch will talk with the lock, especially when the phone might be around.
but most garmin would happily communicate ant+ way, and i’m sure you’ll get good support both from nuki and garmin.
i would anyway give you the dongle.

my best wishes,
alex

Official nuki app for Garmin watch Connect IQ Store | Free Watch Faces and Apps | Garmin

Requires Nuki iOS App version ≥ 2.7.5, or Nuki Android App version ≥ 2.7.5 (available beginning of February)

Which are not available yet. Please be patient until the App updates are rolled out. They are coming soon.

EDIT: We’re going to deactivate the Garmin App until the Smartphone Apps are released in order to avoid any confusion.