Airbnb Integration

Airbnb is one of the leading providers of private accommodation. Thanks to the integration of the Nuki electronic door lock into Airbnb’s booking system, hosts can now book their properties even more easily and efficiently. From now on, neither guests nor hosts have to worry about cumbersome key management. Guests receive their access authorization electronically and automatically. As soon as a guest makes a reservation, they will automatically receive their individual invitation code one day before arrival. This access authorization is only valid for the reservation period and expires automatically.

How the integration works for hosts:

• Buy your discounted Nuki Combo via the Airbnb Host Assist website
  • Install your Nuki Smart Lock and your Nuki Bridge
  • Create a Nuki Web Account and connect it once with your Airbnb account
  • After the booking confirmation, the guest will automatically receive an e-mail with the digital access code
  • If the booking is changed or canceled, the assigned authorizations will change automatically
  • At the end of the booking, the digital access code expires automatically

How the integration works for guests:

• Upon completion of the booking, your guests will receive an email with the digital invitation code and an explanation from Nuki
  • If the Nuki app is not yet installed on your guests’ smartphone, the download will automatically start when clicking on the invitation code
  • Registration in the Nuki app is not necessary

Airbnb installation guide

2 posts were split to a new topic: Keypad integration into Airbnb workflow

Hello Stephan!
Can you please talk to Marketing and correct the Video? as it says the codes are sent out 1 day prior to the arrival.
But actually the codes are sent out 72h before arrival. there are also discrepancys in the different dokumentation (in the english version it is correct (72h), in the german version it says 24h)

Thanks and kind regards
Stefan

Thx for the feedback. This is already in the works.

Hey there,

Quick question: I have a complex apartment (1 entrance door (with keypad) , + 10 apt doors ) i want to integrate them with Airbnb.

What i want to achive is this. When somebody makes a reservation through Airbnb, Nuki to be able to issue

Option 1

1 keypad code for the main entrance door + 1 invitation code for the apartment which he has the reservation

Option 2

1 Keypad code + Invitation code which is THE SAME for two Smartlocks (the main entrance door + the apartment which has rented)

Thanks a bunch

Arti

Hi Arti!

With our most recent update to the Airbnb-integration the Keypad is now fully usable for your automatic invites for guests.

Should be working exactly as described.

I am not sure if I understand the exact difference to Option 1!?
If you mean that we send out a PIN code for the Keypad as well as invites for both the Smart Lock at the front door (with the Keypad) and the Smart Lock at the apartment, then: Yes! :slight_smile:
You can even change settings to send out PIN and/or invite as you like.

On the other hand Smart Locks always work individually (due to the authentications being stored at the Smart Lock for security reasons), so it is technically not the same invite for both Smart Locks.

See also our Blogpost on the Airbnb integration updates from last week:

https://nuki.io/en/blog/the-nuki-keypad-airbnb-integration-has-arrived/

Hello.
I’m using the airbnb integration and really appreciate the work!
Although I’m having the problem, that I cannot set manually a door lock code (keypad) for 2 Smartlocks at once.

i.e
2 appartments - 2 door locks - 2 keypads
Cannot give appartment 1 and appartment 2 a door lock code (keypad) in one step when together booked. I have to do this step for each keypad on nuki web or app(android).

When I choose Smartlock 1 and 2 manually, the door lock code is not saved. But doing separately, no problem.

Hi Michael!

On which step exactly do you try to add a code to two locks at the same time?
Do you have a screenshot for me?

After save, the door lock codes arent set instead of setting up one keypad code for both smartlocks.
Also i cannot scroll in browser after enabling the option to set a timeframe, see second post

thanks for investigation :slight_smile:

using firefox 66.0.3 (64-Bit)

Ah, thanks a lot.

In fact, that was not planned to be possible from Nuki Web and so you shouldn’t get this interface at all. :wink: (Due to the complex error handling we would have to do on the interface when you select a code which is already set on one Smart Lock.)

But I will take this and see that it will either get fixed or is set as a feature request.

Hello Stephan,

not that I’m inpatient, but any update here? :slight_smile:
too bad theres no section for nuki web in this forum.

Sorry, still no update on this. We will definitly implement it, but I have to ask for a bit more patience please. :slight_smile:

Hi Stephan,

The airbnb integration is just fantastic, but I realized that the codes generated are under the reservation codes. That’s good for some purposes (it’s unique) but very hard to handle for Airbnb hosts. It’d be great if instead of the reservation code a name (or name + lastname) was included, even if internally the unique reservation code is used.

Should I place a feature request for this?

Thanks in advance,

Guillermo

This is done for several reasons:

• we don’t get a last name from Airbnb
  • we only get the first name of the main guest, so if we crate authorizations for all guests they would all have the name of the main guest
  • showing full name without consent (and creating a usage-profile with it in the activity logs) of the guest would be a problem with GDPR

Great points, please see my commegs below:

1. We don’t get a last name from Airbnb*.
    GUILLERMO:I thought since Nuki is a certified partner of Airbnb that information would be shared. Regardless, even a name and reservation combination would simplify a lot the code management. Names in limited time frames don’t repeat that often and the reservation pice would solve any ambiguity. e.g Hans - HVRTRYTTRYTR"

2. We only get the first name of the main guest, so if we crate authorizations for all guests they would all have the name of the main guest*
    GUILLERMO: Not an issue. Never expected every guest to have a code or be identified (there’s no way to know that information even in Airbnb). The name of the person in the reservation is more than good enough

3. Showing full name without consent (and creating a usage-profile with it in the activity logs) of the guest would be a problem with GDPR*.
    GUILLERMO: I’m very familiar with GDPR compliance and that should not be an issue. Even with a full name (again not required, name + reservation code would work) please remember that information has been shared with the hosts by Airbnb (since there’s a contract in between the guest and host and that’s required), and access to that information though your app makes no difference (ONLY offered to the host of course). Obviously, that information should never be accessible publicly. I’m of course not suggesting you would be GDPR compliance per se, but I work in this area and people seem to be too scared about what GDPR means. I respect of course your “be on the safe side” approach and therefore would use name+reservation code only.

Thanks like always for your time considering the enhancement!

Guillermo

Thanks Stephan/Nuki Team for the AirBnb-API

but… We are kind of disappointed:

1. Our policy is that we want to hand out the entry-code personally. As we gave personally the keys to the location. At the very least we could accept to pass it through the AirBnB chat, so we can add some personal information. But only the owner gets the code.

2. AirBnB allows to have Co-Hosts, which of course makes sense when the owner is away, have multiple locations to rent, or is sick. I understand that sharing the name of the Co-Hosts between AirBnb and Nuki might be more tricky. On the other hand, the NukiWeb has the opportunity to do “Rights Management”. So why isn’t there a tick box saying: That NukiWeb-User (registered with email address) will get as well a copy of the email with the code?

==> imagine an owner of several facilities who’s having many local managers: They don’t get the code to transmit to the customer. But the manager could create a key code. Not logic.
And NO: sending automatically the code from your servers to the customer is not a solution. (quality of our service. But as well: ONLY AirBnB-chat is keeping you secure in cases of issues).
The only hickhacks: Create a fake Nuki-account and give the owner password to the co-Host/managers. Not ethical. Or create an email filter that would send the code to the co-Host/managers. not error prone, especially due to spam, or if you change anything on your email (address, text etc).

1. We can choose to get the code 7, 3 or one day before. Why not any number between 1 and 99? (Does it botter You if we need the code 13 days before??)

2. When sending the code: Why not using the term “AND” instead of 7, 3, OR one day before. It could be used as another remember - just in case the email has land into the SPAM or has not been seen (whatever reason).

3. Why can’t an “Admin”-user (Rights Managment => Access rights, All (admin rights)) see the code by himself in Nuki Web and NukiApp. Would make life easier: He then welcomes the customer, and have the code “handy”.

4. last but not least: Why is it not possible to resend the email through the NukiWeb, for example if the customer wouldn’t have got it? (of course: Admin, Owner, Co-Hosts should be able to do that)

Thanks a lot for your appreciated feedback on those points.
Best regards

Unfortunatly we are still waiting for Airbnb to give us API-access to that feature.

In fact, there is. In our setting “Host and Guest” the invite email ti the guest will also be sent to the Nuki Web email used (as we do not have any other email from the host as stated above).

So if you have it connected to a Nuki Web account with your email you can set it to “Host” only.
But yes, we are working on better ways for intermediates to handle invites.

Main reason is that authorizations for invites are created instantly on the device while we do not want to store invite codes on our server for an arbitrary amount of time due to our security concept.
Normally this is 48 hours but we already made this more flexible for the Airbnb usecase due to demand. If there is big demand for longer lead times we can discuss this. But very long lead times can additionaly cause issues with authorization storage limits on devices.

It is one-time use only, so listing it more often can lead to unexpected behaviour when missused, which would fall back to us. Nonetheless as I already wrote we are thinking about how to improve the invite-code-receiving for intermediates (outside the simple host-guest scheme).

Thanks Stephan

API from AirBnB: For many cases, the API can be by-passed by adding one line per SmartLock in the right managment: “Gets AirBnB Keypad code for SmartLock X”

Personally, I think you even don’t need the AirBnB API: Because the Owner might want to choose Users outside the AirBnB environment to get the code or not. As the OWNER wants, and to its risk of course.

The main issue here I think: Nuki have set only one Owner. So in a couple, they have to “fight” who to whom the inequality will profit.
When it says “All admin rights”… it must all. Including the messages sent from Nuki. Or the Owners needs to do a fake account, and share password. Well… something that should not/never be recommended, since tracking gets lost.

An alternative would to updates the App, and have an Admin feature within the app that can see the entry codes for the other users. They are Admin… they could delete the code.

Missing the “resend-button”: So how to proceed if an admin deletes the AirBnB code via NukiWeb?
grafik
As well valid: if you need to test the settings or train someone: there is no way to create a code beside creating a new booking, while AirBnB can’t make a test booking.

We really hope that user/admin & airbnb behaviour will be updated soon, since we were hoping to simplify by using Nuki.

Thanks and best regards

I cannot do integration with AirBnB. Nuki does not find any listing on my AirBnB account. Can it be because of I did not have any bookings until now? But apartment is visible and bookable in AirBnB.