Using app remote is slow and fails regulary, local usage is fine

We have been using 2 Nuki’s since years and are very happy with it.
The last 6 months, we face issues when using the Nuki remote (i.e. not using Bluetooth directly to the locks).

Our issues

• A few times a week, the Nuki app is not able to reach the Nuki’s. It sometimes takes 20 s, and sometimes you need to restart the app again because it never reaches the Nuki’s.
  • Sometimes, the app is so slow that adding a new users fails because of a time out.
  • Locally, everything works perfect.

My questions:

• What to do?
  • What to check?
  • Could it be that Nuki generation 1 is getting to old to be responsive enough? We see that the bluetooth connection to the bridge is considerable worse than the Nuki of generation 2 although it is much closer.

Our environement:

• Nuki generation 1 (I think… ), firmware 1.14.1; 2 m away from the bridge, orange or green connection status, RSSI = -75 to -85
  • Nuki generation 2 with door sensor, firmware 2.15.3, orange connection status, RSSI = -67 to -72
  • Bridge, firmware 2.18.0
  • Most users use the Android app
  • FritzBox router on VDSL

What we did so far:

• We placed a Fritz wifi repeater 1 m away from the Bridge.
  • We recently switch the powersave of the wifi of the bridge to moderate (as there is a known conflict with the powersave of the bridge when using a Fritzbox, see elsewhere on this forum)
  • We monitor the reachability of bridge and Nuki locks by running a script using the local bridge API (about 1 time a day it reports that it cannot reach the bridge within 10 s)
  • We monitor the reachability of the bridge from the Nuki cloud by running a script using the Nuki web API every minute (once every few days it reports that the bridge cannot be reached).
  • We used to have 2 bridges (gen 1 and gen 2), but discoverd that the old bridge has a better connection to the old Nuki. So now we use only 1 bridge, the old one.

Any help is appreciated !

Hi @hckr,

thanks for posting your details here and that you are a happy user.

As this is a developer forum I would kindly ask you to get in contact with our support team
in order to best assist you going forward on your individual situation.

In general, due to the nature of WiFi there are multiple options where communication
could fail or have a higher latency, such as your internet service provider connection
not being 100% stable at all times - which is a pretty common thing and something
that we cannot influence on our end.

To answer your third question upfront:
No, Nuki 1st Generation Smart Locks are not getting “too old”. They remain to be fully supported,
including the remote access mentioned by you.

So, please reach out to our support team for individual assistance.

Thanks & take care,
Matthias