Smart Lock Firmware 3.8.x Beta

@Juergen … can you pls answer to this post?
Thanks

Once the SL has detected that the MQTT connection is broken (which can take up to 5min) it starts with 5s, 10s, 20s, … reconnect tries until it reaches the maximum interval of 1h.

That was a specific problem in your case that was not related to the MQTT retry mechanism. We’re looking into it.

1 Like

We appreciate any feedback, but this is a beta tester forum. If you want to contribute, please sign up for the beta and report the problems/findings in the 4th gen beta thread.

1 Like

This is not feasible because there is no single “root cause” to solve. The Smart Lock requires certain power saving mechanisms to work (otherwise the batteries would be empty within a few days). There are millions of different combinations of routers, home lan/wifi settings, internet providers out there. Our goal is to work with most of them, but we’re also realistic and know that it will never work perfectly fine with all of them. Some will always work better (= more stable and lower power consumption) than others. Debugging one single setup does not solve the problem of all others.

1 Like

Ok … clear…

I confirm that in my case now it is ALWAYS reconnecting… even if it disconnects regularly with apparently no reason (or the reason is the power mechanism)…

For me now it is acceptable…

Thanks for your effort

To get valid results and to tell if it’s a Wi-Fi or MQTT Problem, I activated a ping from Home Assistant, every 10 seconds.
An hour later I changed to uptime kurma, to get better statistics.

And now, there haven’t been any disconnects since then. Two disconnects around 3 a.m. for 1 second. But this could have been the Wi-Fi channel change too.

I’m not sure if it’s the Wi-Fi connection itself or in some way Nukis Wi-Fi connection, which is kept alive by this ping. Or maybe there was another change/update I haven’t recognized (don’t think so).
But for the last 10 - 12 hours it was stable. And that is a really big change since it disconnected at least 1-3 times an hour before.

@spanzetta maybe try also a ping to see if this fixes your disconnect problems. HA ping Integration sends a ping every 30 seconds, which should be enough.

I’m using an SDN with TP-Link Omada. The nuki is connected to an EAP225. But other devices don’t show this disconnect behavior or I don’t recognize it, cause it doesn’t matter so much to be connected constantly without any delay.

But the ESP Bridge was connected to the same EAP and had only the Bluetooth delay, I think. :wink:

Never mind. I’m really happy, at the moment. Maybe a ping could be a workaround or at least a hint of a solution.

Update:

It worked for more than 24 hours without a reconnect. Then I changed the ping to 60 seconds and got a downtime again.
Now, with a ping every 30 seconds, it kept alive. Not sure how this is draining the battery, but it works. :partying_face:

1 Like

Since yesterday morning, I cannot use the Android app to use my smart lock if not connected to the smart lock by Blue Tooth.
MQTT works correctly, only remote actions using the Nuki app are not possible.
I tried to unplug/plug the battery with no change.

When I check in the app in integration section then Nuki Web near my smart lock it shows the smart lock is connected to my Nuki Web account.

Is someone facing the same issue?

EDIT: it becomes available again two days ago but this morning it occured again.
It looks cold weather is the only common point I see but I don’t remind I had the same issue last year.

I also had to re calibrate my smart lock this morning, it looks it occurs more often.

With this latest beta FW auto unlock feature stopped working…
Anyone else with same problem?

Nop.

But I notice some strangeness E.G. smart not calibrated anymore sometimes and it is fixed when unplugging and plugging again the battery.

I had not this with previous firmware but difficult to know if it is this version, even if last time it occurred, temperature was not so cold, 8°C outside just behind the door.

Hi there! How do you Ping the lock over MQTT exactly? I just dont get it to work…

I don’t do it over mqtt.
I use Home Assistant and there the ping integration (Ping (ICMP) - Home Assistant), to keep the nuki / wifi connection awake.

1 Like

Ahh okay i See, do you put in the IP-Adress of the Nuki that is displayed in the Nuki App?

Like that?

alias: Nuki Ping
description: “”
trigger:

• platform: time_pattern
    seconds: “30”
    condition: []
    action:
  • service: homeassistant.update_entity
    target:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.http_ipadressnuki
    data: {}
    mode: single

I looked up the IP in my router. And for a ping every 30 seconds, you don’t need a separate automation. 30 seconds is the default pooling interval.

Your automation is almost correct. You want to ping it every 30 seconds not at :30

alias: ping nuki
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    seconds: /20
condition: []
action:
  - service: homeassistant.update_entity
    target:
      entity_id: binary_sensor.172_23_107_31
    data: {}
mode: single

would ping every 20 seconds. The difference is the /

1 Like

Perfect, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Original post has been updated with release notes for the Smart Lock 3.0 Beta 3.8.4
This Beta is not including any user visible changes, but is still improving some code which pays into the overall system stability.

Please install this beta and provide your feedback via this channel - thank you!

1 Like

I got the notification for the 3.8.4 beta today but the app (iOS) crashes in the step where it transfers the firmware to the Nuki.

Everything else is OK, I just can’t install the new firmware.

After installing this update, I still have connections issues with Nuki web, I’ve tried to open Nuki Android app and my smart lock is offline even if MQTT is OK.

Weather is definitely not the cause.

No issue during installation. I will check & monitor the stability and performance

Still waiting for a new Update where MQTT is capable to handle communication with all ip-adress-Ranges. Is there something in sight?

Hello,

since installing the 3.8.4 firmware I have a significant battery consumption of around 20% per day. I didn’t have any problems before. :frowning:

Greetings