Smart Lock (4th generation) Firmware Beta 4.3.x

With the latest 4.3.x I’ve seen Matter loosing connection both virtually (unavailable) and practically with variety of errors already reported above despite the connectivity looking okay on paper.

Today, cherry on the cake, SL4P locked me out of my own house, becoming unresponsive to any connection type, not only Matter via Home Assistant but also Bluetooth, specifically the keypad was unable to unlock, the app was unable to do anything despite showing green connection between the phone and the lock via Bluetooth, the Garmin app was also unable to connect to the lock, and Google Matter was also unable to establish a connection. Despite knowing the risks of deploying beta software, this specific risk seemed well mitigated by the backup connection methodology, and yet when you find yourself freezing locked outside your house for hours, nothing counts and it’s just not a pleasant place to be.

A support request was opened, who knows this is just a faulty unit.

I experience different results.

• SL4Pro
  • Connected with MQTT over WiFi, no matter
  • Firmware 4.3.2
  • UniFi access points
  • There is an access point 2m from the lock
  • Had connection issues in the past with SL3 and this SL4Pro but sorted them by changing some WiFi settings
  • I have a very stable connection
  • Had a previous issue with battery draining on firmware 4.2.x. It’s still not great on 4.3.2 but a lot better. It drained 15% in 12 days now.

Hi friend. I’m on 4.3.2 since release.
I’m using wifi and mqtt.
It worked well but this morning the lock was unaviable. I had to remove and insert again the battery pack.
It seems a wifi issue
If you Need additional info, write to me

Apologies - deleted my post above by accident so have re-posted for completeness.

Similar for me - no Matter used here, just MQTT over Wifi. I found 4.2.x kept the MQTT over Wifi connection much better, but it was using a lot of battery (battery saving set to Medium) and the Nuki app notifications were often delayed.
4.3.2 is better for battery life (although still not as good as it ‘should be’ / ‘used to be’) and the Nuki app notifications come through on time.
However, the MQTT over wifi is losing connection.
I have found (for several versions now) that as above the wifi is still connected as the Nuki app is still working. Also, the MQTT connection will be re-made by going in the Nuki App to
Settings >
Features & Configuration >
Smart Home >
MQTT >
Click the IP address (which will still have a Green arrow next to it) >
Then click ‘Save’ - the password does not need to be re-entered.

That will ‘wake’ the MQTT back up without the hassle of disconnecting the battery / re-doing the lock calibration. I partly try not to disconnect the battery often as my other older lock fails to torque sense properly so it’s a hassle to power up & re-calibrate.

What kind of wifi settings did you change?

Had to look it up but I actually replace the type of access point. See this topic, it contains all sort of connection related information.

Re. MQTT v1.4 - via Thread - there seems to be a mixed behaviour with lockActionEvent completely missing most of the times, while state/timestamp update pretty timely.

-edit-
Interestingly, a lock event from pressing the button is reported correctly, any Thread actions aren’t being reported.

What do you mean with “Thread action”:

1. A lock action sent through Matter
  2. A lock action sent via MQTT which is connected via Thread

I meant an action from Matter via Thread (#1), while MQTT actions via Thread (#2) are updated as expected with code 172 as per the PDF :wink:

Please add support MQTT via Nuki Bridge

I encountered another serious issue with firmware 4.3.2 and mqtt connection over WIFI. The issue occurs during unlatch operation. In detail, my smart lock pull the latch, and immediately it lost mqtt connection (this doesn’t always happen, but often). So, after 3 seconds (the default time for unlatching operation) it does not release the latch, and keeps the door open forever!!! The only way for release the latch i to send the unlatch command from nuki app throuth bluetooth connection. This is a serious issue! However, using mqtt over thread connection, the problem does not arise at all.

Hi, i’ve faced the same issue 2-3 Times a while ago. Thougt it was caused by some other factors (e.g. multiple mobiles keep sending a Bluetooth command, door lock stuck by itself,…). After removing the battery it works again.

Already tried removing battery, factory reset, power management to medium, etc etc. The issue is still present with MQTT over WIFI only (Home Assistant as smart hub). With MQTT over THREAD the issue is not present. Another think i’ve noticed is that when Nuki lost connection, in the activity logs from the app, appears two messages: “SYS:REV:HEAD” and “SYS:REV:BUILD:2110”. Hope it will be fix asap, because the MQTT connection over WIFI is really buggy and unsafe.

Agree, i have the same problem, using MQTT over WiFi.
I have battery settings on “fastest” because my SL4P is mains powered (caharged).
This is really annoying!

i also have these error messges. pleeeeease fix

Me too. It has happened 2-3 times since I installed 4.3.2.

It happened to me as well a couple of times but only under specific circumstances. I think it only happened shortly after I pulled the battery. I can prevent it by performing a calibration after having pulled the battery. It’s definitely still something to fix though.

I have the same problem

Original post has been updated with release notes for the Smart Lock Beta 4.3.4

This Beta includes improvements in order to improve the SL4G connectivity. It also fixes some misbehaviour with the KP2 intelligent lock action. Furthermore we bring the possibility to gather statistics in order to provide a General report and also additional options for the battery report.

Please install this build and provide feedback via this channel - thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting this. These are log messages that should not appear in the activity log (they are no error messages though). Will be fixed with one of the next updates.