Poor Wifi connection Nuki 4th gen Pro

Same here. Nuki smart lock 4.0 pro with built-in WiFi. Connection stays for a short time (usually less than an hour), then the connection drops and does not reconnect. Only way to solve it is to reconnect the battery.

We bought the lock especially for our b&b, where remote management is critical. This is not going to work. I am very disappointed the quality. I was expecting that a product at this price range would work seemlessly.

1 Like

As mentioned in the header this is a beta tester and developer forum. If you want to contribute to make Nuki better, please follow the instructions posted above and give us more detailed feedback.

We found a bug in the 4.1.8 release (and 4.2.0 beta) which has an impact on this suggestion:

If your Smart Lock runs 4.1.8 (release) or 4.2.0 (beta) please set the power saving to “slow” in order for the above mentioned compatibility settings for problematic WiFi routers to be applied.

This will be fixed in the next beta.

3 Likes

Hi Jürgen, can you specify this? I changed the battery settings to low. Still disconnects after a while… Really unfortunate that this disables a core feature…

Hello Jürgen,

I’m experiencing the same issue with my Nuki 4 pro, wifi connection seems to drop randomly:

• My home network is based on the Netgear Orbi RBR50 mesh, using DHCP for the smartlock, no specific settings that would block things on the internal network. Network is stable and I’m not getting any issue with any other device.

• The Smart Lock runs 4.1.8 (release)

• I’m using MQTT to communicate with the Smartlock to allow to use it via Home Assistant (running on a Raspberry PI), I’ve set up an Telegram integration which pushes me notifications every time the lock has a change of state. I can therefore track effectively when it goes offline. It’s common, I would say once a day and usually it’s a couple of minutes before it’s back online, on rarer occasions it can be an hour or even more. Battery setting was set to automatic so far.

• I’ve changed the setting for the battery to medium and will let you know if this helps with the stability.

If there’s anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this, let me know. I really need the wifi to be stable and reliable as I’ll be using the Smart Lock for Airbnb in a few months.

Cheers,
Thibaut

Beta 4.2.1 is available since today and contains an even less restrictive power saving mode when choosing “fast” as power saving setting.

If you have stability problems with your Smart Lock 4th gens WiFi, therefore please do the following:

1. Make sure you run either firmware 4.1.8 (release) or 4.2.1 (latest beta).

2. Try to set the battery saving to “medium” and either take out the batteries and reinsert them or turn off/on WiFi (the settings are only applied with the next reconnect) and wait for some hours if the WiFi connection is now more stable. If that does help, please report back that it helped.

3. If it did not help, make sure that you run at least 4.2.1 (beta) and set the battery saving to “fast” and either take out the batteries and reinsert them or turn off/on WiFi (the settings are only applied with the next reconnect) and wait for some hours if the WiFi connection is now more stable. If that does help, please report back that it helped.

4. If that still does not help DM me the Nuki ID of your device and also send me a description of your home WiFi setup

P.S.: The information given out recently turned out to be not correct. It’s therefore been striked through.

2 Likes

Hi Jurgen,
with firmware 4.2.1 (beta) and battery saving to “fast”, SLP4 is able to connect to the wifi repeater’s strong signal and the connection itself is stable. The problem is the connection to the Nuki server, it’s up and down many times per hour and also when it seems UP, the APP says “SLP4 offline” if I disable the bluetooth. Here is an example of MQTT messages:
nuki/XXXXX/serverConnected true
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:16:04Z
nuki/XXXXX/serverConnected false
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:20:02Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:20:05Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:24:03Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:24:06Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:29:24Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:29:36Z

If I implement the workaround described in my first post, the wifi connection to the router’s weak signal is stable and also the connection to the Nuki server is stable.

Best regards.

Same happens for me, nuki is very often offline - and the connection is wonderful (strong wifi).

Cf the screenshot.

Same here. I have a Nuki 4 Pro and since a few weeks it doesn’t connect to WIFI anymore.

My Router / Network setup is TP-Link Omada. I even put an AP very close to the lock today. When I remove the battery to reboot the lock it connects to WIFI briefly but later it shows again “offline” in the app.

I tried a reset today and to connect it to another SSID but that didn’t help.

What was strange (before I did the reset): The smart lock was shown to be connected via LAN to my switch on the port of the access point.

I’ll try the beta firmware tomorrow and I hope that the problems get resolved quickly.

Hi, with Beta 4.2.1 same sh@t, WiFi lost after 10 minutes or it says connecting.
Netgear ORBI mash router perfect signal.
Switched back to Bridge solution, no problem there.

This feedback is not very helpful. If you expect improvements, please follow this guidelines and provide more detailed informations: Poor Wifi connection Niki 4 pro - #32 by Juergen

Jürgen,

What is not helpful? People here say we lose wifi without reason. I even provided a screenshot. Why does it get disconnected??

What else can help? I will not download beta, too many people use this lock. It has to be reliable. It is on 4.1.8 and medium in my case

“It does not work” is not a very detailed error description. This is a beta tester and developer forum for people who want to help Nuki become better. We can only learn if you provide feedback in the proper format. The steps to do so have been layed out in detail in the linked post:

P.S. It’s fine to not participate in betas. But then you’re wrong here in the forum. Please contact Nuki support and follow up with them.

Hey there, Happy Monday !

I’m still seeing drops of connexion from the N4P with the settings to “medium”, it’s reported via my MQTT logging:

It hasn’t been more than 1 or 2 minutes so far so it’s not very impacting, at least not like before where it would lose wifi connection for several hours or until battery is plugged off/on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Thibaut

Great answer,

Thanks Jürgen, really great help! Paying Customer, who spent more than 250€ on the set is being treated really nicely. I guess this is my last nuki product.

I even showed a picture - so you can see wifi signal is very good and wifi is disconnected. No reaction from you.

You also did not respond to the DM.

I am happy, really.

1 Like

Hi Jürgen, sorry for derailing, but the nuki support basically ends with “please install the beta version”, as there is no real fix to the Wi-Fi-connection issue. And this is why people end up her because, most have pointed that out, a substantial part of your product is not working (and for me the only feature why I would have bought a nuki in the first place). I can only emphasise to handle the concerns appropriately! Btw: I fully understand that you as developers, do not provide 24hrs support :slight_smile:

Back to topic: I have tried now the new beta and changing the battery setting to fast, for me it is still not working. I’ll DM you my Nuki ID, for further assistance. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi!
I use 10 SmartLocks same time and 3 of them are Gen4 Pro and this 3 regulary go offline (release 4.1.8). I need to reset them every 2-3 days :frowning:
I have tried medium battery power setting, 2 differnt TP-link routers and Huaiway, also GSM, Coaxial and ADSL Modems from differnet providers A1 and Magenta, different WiFi settings main or guest network, with or without WPA. It is not helps.
The only way to make a stable connection is to use a Bridge.

The differens between “Gen4” and “Gen4 Pro” is a Wifi Option and 70 Euro.

I hope Nuki have a plan how to fix this Wifi issue with Gen4 Pro. Or they need to give free bridge for every Gen4 Pro because Wifi option actually does not works. Or call back all “Gen4 Pro” and replace them with “Gen3 Pro” (with them I dont have any problems).

@Nuki if I can help somehow to fix this problem - please let me know.

3 Likes

This is exactly the point, well said and I can just repeat the same.
It’s a shame keeping us alive with do this an do that, instead of having finally a solution for the Pro :-1:
@Nuki it’s high time to wake up and get things right.

2 Likes

After 2 weeks of testing, actually changing the battery saver option from fast to medium, and already having beta firmware, it solved the problem, and now SmartLock is 99% online

For 4.0 Pro, if you have set battery saver option to medium, you need to update app by subscribing to beta program, and once done it updates you firmware,and you should fix offline problems, to me it worked