Poor Wifi connection Nuki 4th gen Pro

No

You can try to set the “Battery saving” of the Smart Lock to “Medium”. This reduces some WiFi power saving mechanisms to be less restrictive and could help with problematic WiFi routers.

Hi,
I have already tried with the “Battery saving” to “medium” but the behavior is the same.
I have also tried with a another wifi repeater model without success.
Another test was with a different SSID for the extender (the usual xxxx_EXT) but also this failed (now I’m using the same SSID for the router and for the extender).

Same for me, wifi connection is unstable and not reconnecting by itself.
So by reading previous posts… maybe still a firmware problem?

Again, I have now 4.1.8, the app says in the Built-in WIFI" that I am connected, 2 out of 3 “bars”, but in the connection graphic it is not visible as connected - only via BT.

What is the vendor ID for the Mac address, so I can check with my router?

Very sorry this is so unstable!

I did a factory reset and now wifi is connected again. Also changed battery management to medium. Nuki is more responsive now.

You can get IP & MAC with this: Cannot find Nuki IP address - #2 by Juergen

The smart lock 4.0 pro is in 80-90 % of cases offline, when online connection is good being router at a distance of 2 m without obstacles. This means that if you give Alexa a voice command 9 times out of 10 it doesn’t work and, much more seriously, if you have an emergency and you are far from home you are helpless. I believe that for a lock that is defined as smart to be often offline and controllable only if you are within Bluetooth range, a serious shortcoming. I hope they fix it by updating firmware because it’s not the user’s job to go by trial and error. I also own an echo show 10 third generation compatible with Matter, but unusable because Alexa (I think the most widespread smart home) is not yet supported, I hope as soon as possible it will be supported and using Matter in addition to battery saving also improves connection stability

Same here. I installed the Nuki 4 Pro on Thursday, but it has hardly been online ever since. It’s mostly offline even with using a guest network, which I keep for the IoT things, and even when my router sees it online.
The remote functionality was the main reason for buying it, so I’m very disappointed.

1 Like

This morning I was out and about, and in two hours I made 3 attempts opening the Nuki app, 3 out of 3 it turned out to be offine, so the problem is serious, I don’t know if it depends on the battery saver, but you can’t hope to randomly catch the exact moment when it decides to connect to the router

1 Like

If you want to help us identify the problems, please provide more / specific information:

1. Tell us which WiFi router/setup you have.

2. Try to set the battery saving to “medium” and either take out the batteries and reinsert them or turn off/on WiFi (the settings are only applied with the next reconnect) and wait for some hours if the WiFi connection is now more stable. If that does help, please report back that it helped.

3. If that does not help, install the latest beta firmware for your Smart Lock and DM me the Nuki ID of your Smart Lock. A beta firmware creates specific logs at which we’ll have a look and come back to you.

Thank you :pray:

I changed battery power saving setting from fast to medium, firmware is already beta, router settings are standard, in fact removed battery pack and put it back, reconnected without problems. Next week I’ll do some tests, especially when I’m outdoors, and I’ll see if the situation has improved. I’m also waiting for Matter to be turned on for Alexa

Yesterday, I set the energy-saving mode to medium, rebooted everything (which I’ve never had to do with my router) and it worked for a solid 20 hours. Now, it won’t connect again.
For this price, I’m not willing to reboot it every day or troubleshoot it to this extent right out of the box. This thing is going to be sent back tomorrow.

1 Like

Same here. Nuki smart lock 4.0 pro with built-in WiFi. Connection stays for a short time (usually less than an hour), then the connection drops and does not reconnect. Only way to solve it is to reconnect the battery.

We bought the lock especially for our b&b, where remote management is critical. This is not going to work. I am very disappointed the quality. I was expecting that a product at this price range would work seemlessly.

1 Like

As mentioned in the header this is a beta tester and developer forum. If you want to contribute to make Nuki better, please follow the instructions posted above and give us more detailed feedback.

We found a bug in the 4.1.8 release (and 4.2.0 beta) which has an impact on this suggestion:

If your Smart Lock runs 4.1.8 (release) or 4.2.0 (beta) please set the power saving to “slow” in order for the above mentioned compatibility settings for problematic WiFi routers to be applied.

This will be fixed in the next beta.

3 Likes

Hi Jürgen, can you specify this? I changed the battery settings to low. Still disconnects after a while… Really unfortunate that this disables a core feature…

Hello Jürgen,

I’m experiencing the same issue with my Nuki 4 pro, wifi connection seems to drop randomly:

• My home network is based on the Netgear Orbi RBR50 mesh, using DHCP for the smartlock, no specific settings that would block things on the internal network. Network is stable and I’m not getting any issue with any other device.

• The Smart Lock runs 4.1.8 (release)

• I’m using MQTT to communicate with the Smartlock to allow to use it via Home Assistant (running on a Raspberry PI), I’ve set up an Telegram integration which pushes me notifications every time the lock has a change of state. I can therefore track effectively when it goes offline. It’s common, I would say once a day and usually it’s a couple of minutes before it’s back online, on rarer occasions it can be an hour or even more. Battery setting was set to automatic so far.

• I’ve changed the setting for the battery to medium and will let you know if this helps with the stability.

If there’s anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this, let me know. I really need the wifi to be stable and reliable as I’ll be using the Smart Lock for Airbnb in a few months.

Cheers,
Thibaut

Beta 4.2.1 is available since today and contains an even less restrictive power saving mode when choosing “fast” as power saving setting.

If you have stability problems with your Smart Lock 4th gens WiFi, therefore please do the following:

1. Make sure you run either firmware 4.1.8 (release) or 4.2.1 (latest beta).

2. Try to set the battery saving to “medium” and either take out the batteries and reinsert them or turn off/on WiFi (the settings are only applied with the next reconnect) and wait for some hours if the WiFi connection is now more stable. If that does help, please report back that it helped.

3. If it did not help, make sure that you run at least 4.2.1 (beta) and set the battery saving to “fast” and either take out the batteries and reinsert them or turn off/on WiFi (the settings are only applied with the next reconnect) and wait for some hours if the WiFi connection is now more stable. If that does help, please report back that it helped.

4. If that still does not help DM me the Nuki ID of your device and also send me a description of your home WiFi setup

P.S.: The information given out recently turned out to be not correct. It’s therefore been striked through.

2 Likes

Hi Jurgen,
with firmware 4.2.1 (beta) and battery saving to “fast”, SLP4 is able to connect to the wifi repeater’s strong signal and the connection itself is stable. The problem is the connection to the Nuki server, it’s up and down many times per hour and also when it seems UP, the APP says “SLP4 offline” if I disable the bluetooth. Here is an example of MQTT messages:
nuki/XXXXX/serverConnected true
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:16:04Z
nuki/XXXXX/serverConnected false
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:20:02Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:20:05Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:24:03Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:24:06Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:29:24Z
nuki/XXXXX/timestamp 2024-03-09T08:29:36Z

If I implement the workaround described in my first post, the wifi connection to the router’s weak signal is stable and also the connection to the Nuki server is stable.

Best regards.

Same happens for me, nuki is very often offline - and the connection is wonderful (strong wifi).

Cf the screenshot.