Outside key trouble despite hotel cylinder

Hi all, sorry if this post is in the wrong section or repetitive. Basically, I have a Nuki 3.0 and I had a question about using the key from the outside. I’ve searched the forum and all I get is “you need a hotel cylinder” but I think I have a hotel cylinder already… is something else the problem?

I understand that I need a ‘hotel cylinder’ which lets you open the door even if there is a key on the other side. However, my current lock (Euro profile) does let me do that - if there is a key inside, I can go outside, insert my key and still open the lock. But when I connect the nuki, I can no longer turn the key from the outside.

The one thing I’ve noticed is that the key one one side ‘pushes out’ the key on the other side a few millimeters, and maybe with the nuki it can’t do that anymore?

I’m not sure if that’s very clear, but for example:

• If both keys are in the lock and I want to turn it from the outside, I push the outside key in (the inside key moves out a little) then I turn the outside key.
  • if I want to turn it from the inside, I push the inside key in (the outside key moves out a little) and then I turn the inside key.

Does anyone recognize this behavior? Is my cylinder not a hotel cylinder? Do I have a hotel cylinder that’s not compatible for some other reason?

The Nuki chat said “call a locksmith” and if I call a locksmith they’ll say “call Nuki”, so I’m just trying to understand the issue so I know what to actually change. Thank you!

Your cylinder is a standard cylinder and does not have the required emergency function („Not und Gefahrenfunktion“). Nuki offers a universal cylinder in its online shop which should work with almost any door Nuki Universal Cylinder - The perfect cylinder for your Smart Lock.

If you have further questions please contact the Nuki support.
This forum is focused on developer related issues.

Understood, thank you! My locksmith told me I had a hotel cylinder so it’s very helpful to know that I don’t.

Ask for a cylinder with “Notfall- und Gefahrenfunktion”, because that’s the one you need!