Nuki Hub: ESP32 open-source alternative for SmartLock-MQTT integration

I have not tried it but in theory I think yes, it uses the same bt connection and api as the app and both app and bridge can also be used on the same lock.

But not exactly simultaniously as only 1 device can have the bt connection with the lock (i think). One of the nuki developers should be able to confirm this.

You can read info on the repo:

The Nuki Hub is certainly one of the best and most complete implementations of the Nuki BLE API out there and a fantastic piece of work.

Thanks for your appreciating words @Juergen and thanks to @i-connect for writing the library that enables NUKI Hub to work. I like the fact that the API is well documented, I wish more companies were open like this. There are users now across all kind of home automation platforms, Home Assistant being the biggest community I think (according to number of opened issues), but also iobroker, openhab, FHEM and probably more.

Thanks to supporters and the community we got NUKI Hub to stable state, which was a problem especially in the beginning, and we were able to add a lot of requested features. It’s not always easy to balance between user expectations, technical feasibility and scope of the project, but I’d like to think we did a pretty good job at that so far.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m considering the Nuki to use with my Ultion locks in the UK, so I can still have the same key for other external locks. I would be looking to integrate into my Home Assistant setup, exposing the lock to HomeKit.

Looking at the recommended ESP32 devices, do the WiFi ones (Atom U/Lite) communicate with the Nuki lock via BLE? I can’t see this listed in their specs?

Do I need an SL3 or SL3Pro to work with the Atom U/Lite ESP32?

Thanks
Will

All ESP32 based devices should have BLE support, IIRC.

The Atom devices are based on the ESP32-PICO-D4, here the specs from the datasheet:

Nuki Hub communicates with the Nuki Lock via BLE and uses its WiFi for LAN communications.

For Home Assistant integration, Nuki Hub natively supports MQTT Discovery, so once you configure the MQTT broker to be used, the device will automatically be picked up by Home Assistant with all the relevant entities. True Plug and Play. :slight_smile:

As stated on the project’s repo, here’s the list of supported locks:

Thanks for the reply. I’m an absolute noob with regards to ESP32. This will be my first time using one with HA.

Don’t worry Will, thanks to the work of @technyon and some advices from the support team (me included) you won’t have to care much about the hw details. Just flash the firmware and then you open NH webpage to configure things. And if you need help, use the GH repo or join the Nuki Hub Discord Server.

1 Like

@Juergen - it would be great if the Door Sensor protocol could be documented. That would Nuki Hub to push the door state back to the lock by using any door sensing method the user desires (Nuki feature request and Nuki Hub feature request).

Do you think that would be possible? Alternatively, if the bridge/web API can be updated to allow pushing state another way, that would work, too.

Thanks!

is it also possible to pair the bridge again after pairing the nuki hub?

Interesting: the nuki bridge seems to already have a ESP-WROOM-02 chip for WIFI + Cypress CY8C4248LQI-BL483 chip for Bluetooth according to this teardown-article: (A peek inside the Nuki Smart Lock - The π Computer Club) maybe some day we see a open-source firmware like “ESPHome Nuki Lock” or “Nuki HUB” ported to the original Nuki Bridge HW :)))

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply René, I missed the notification.

The answer is NO: Nuki Hub replaces Nuki Bridge.

1 Like

we discussed about this, technically I think it could be done, but we also found out that for ESPs wifi+bt bridging functionalities are very resource intensive, so ESP32 is highly recommended.

It would be actually interesting retrofitting the bridge case with an ESP32 device, like the Atom Lite for example. :wink:

Up and running

1 Like

I’m assuming nothing changes that much for NUKI Smart Lock 4.0 and NUKI Smart Lock 4.0 Pro ?

hi,
question from my side is how to pair Nuki opener with nukihub:

• I checked the “opener enabled” checkbox in nukihub admin gui
  • I started the opener setup in Nuki app and came to the subprocess where it says to press opener button for 10 seconds to put opener in pairing mode with bridge (which I assume is surrogates by the nukihub esp32)
  • I tried to reboot the nukihub, as this also worked to pair it with Nuki lock
  • BUT nothing happens
  • and nukihub web gui still shows “opener paired” as disabled

am I missing something ? or is in this case the nukihub not meant to act as a bridge …

thanx

…some addon to my previous post:

• I misunderstood the setup - I thought I put the opener in pairing mode but it is the other way round - it wants the bridge (aka nukihub) to be put in pairing mode
  • no clue how I can put nukihub in pairing mode … tried restart but without effect
  • do I need to pair the opener to bridge / nukihub ?
    thänx for any information

I have no experience with the opener, but would be better if you directly ask in the github project site.

open an issue on GH repository. this thread was made only to let users know there’s an alternative to the Nuki Bridge.

I’ve tested the delays.
commands from HA are executed after 1,5 to 3 seconds.
but status changes of the lock are reported by mqtt after 6 to 9 seconds,
which is way to slow for what i’m up to…

test-equipment:
Smartlock 4 Pro V4.2.5beta, disabled MQTT, disabled WLAN
olimex esp32 with wired ethernet,
distance ESP32 to SL4P < 1m, rssi: -64dB

does anyone get faster status updates?

Mine updates in 1-2s. Open an issue on GH so dev can help debugging your issue.