Nuki Bridge lost connection to Smartlock 4.0

Yes, it confirms my experience. The support was polite but had no suggestion at all how to solve the problem. This product is simply not fit for the intended purpose.

Regarding this forum I do not understand why Nuki completely ignores it.

2 Likes

As there have been x-postings on this topic I’ll respond here:

We are currently investigating reported issues described here related to the Nuki Bridge losing connection to the Smart Lock leading to cases where remote access is not available anymore.

Once we have identified and validated a solution we are as usual going to provide an update here.

Thanks

1 Like

A short update on this matter:

A potential short term mitigation to reduce to likelihood of the Bridge losing the connection to the Smart Lock is to deactivate any additional integrations via the Bridge API such as Home Assistant or Loxone that would cause (additional / regular) Bluetooth connections to be opened to the Smart Lock. Also, if possible deactivate the Door Sensor.

Those additional Bluetooth connections in rare cases can lead to the Bridge not being able to connect to the Smart Lock anymore.

As previously mentioned our team is working on a solution that we plan to release in the course of next week, once we have it validated to work based on the individual setups reported to us so far.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and will provide an update here once available. Thanks.

It’s not just about Home Assistant (though, let’s be honest, Nuki probably wrote that plugin during a coffee break). It’s also about how some countries feel like their internet connections are in a perpetual game of hide and seek.

If only Nuki’s support team would, you know, respond to any of the ten emails I’ve sent them—or, heaven forbid, actually pick up the phone—maybe they’d get some valuable feedback from their customers. But right now, their support team seems to think of customers as the villains in a bad soap opera.

Honestly, if you can’t get a handle on those pesky memory leaks, just let us schedule reboots without setting off the calibration drama. That would probably make most customers as happy as a cat in a sunbeam.

1 Like

@Stefan_E Once again, while we valuable feedback this is a developer forum and posts should follow the guidelines as well. It is not a discussion board about opinions around Nuki products and also not a general customer support forum.

As previously mentioned our team is working on a solution based on the inputs received that we ideally plan to release in the course of next week, once we have it validated to work based on the individual setups reported to us so far.

If there are further updates we will share them here. Thanks

2 Likes

This platform appears to be the only place where communication with Nuki is even possible. Nuki’s support is entirely unreachable by phone, and emails remain unanswered. The one time I managed to contact support last Monday, I was advised to perform a factory reset. Had I followed that advice, it would have resulted in unnecessary expenses without resolving the core issue—Nuki locks going offline after a period of time, a problem Nuki has been aware of for at least three years: Remote reboot feature - #12 by Stefan_E.

My frequent posts at least prompted you to inform users to disconnect from Home Assistant, which might delay the lock from going offline but certainly won’t prevent it, as there are other factors causing disconnections.

We are now on day 7 with a lock that has been offline, and in a full week, not a single person from Nuki has provided instructions to mitigate further damages. The only suggestion so far has been the ineffective factory reset.

Given that this issue has been known to Nuki for such a long time, why has there been no guidance on how to mitigate the problem? What is preventing Nuki from advising customers on steps they can take, such as steps a, b, and c, to extend the online time of their locks? Why is this not being addressed?

3 Likes

I agree 100% with Stefan E. Same or even worst problem, no support from Nuki. And this seems the only way somebody from Nuki is listening (hopefully). (I am now 7 years with many Nuki products).
@developers:
I bought a Nuki Smartlock 4.0 in April replacing a Smartlock 2.0 (which worked fine, but I thought newer = better). Same as Stefan - the rental holiday home is 2.700km away. After 4 weeks it failed completely. No Bridge, no BT. After reset (batteries out-in) it was working again but showed empty batteries. We replaced with new batteries. After 1 week it failed again, apparently empty batteries again. But this time the motor did not unlock from the turning mechanism. Turning the key from outside was turning the motor. With new batteries it showed empty batteries and after a short time, no BT connection was possible.
Immediately bought a new Smartlock 4.0. This now stopped working (no BT, no Bridge) after 1 week.
Firmware: 4.3.10 - reset with battery out->in it is working again. I am scared this smartlock will fail soon again like the first one.
I sent a ticket via Nuki App to Nuki Support, but 7 days later still no reply.
For the 1st broken Smartlock (bought at Nuki shop) I received a return label (last week) after 7 (SEVEN!) weeks of many emails with the Nuki service until they understood (took them 7 weeks) that there is no BT connection to this device possible any more.
More and more I am coming to the conclusion, it could be a quality problem, not a developer (firmware) problem.
Both Smartlock 4.0 hat the problem that a battery report is not possible. (still not possible)
Either: “Failed to gather device information: unable to connect to device” OR
“… generating” and nothing happens After many minutes the app must be closed (same with Android and IOS).

1 Like

Thanks so much for the post. I mean, after weeks of searching for answers, it turns out the magical timeframe for the door opener to stop functioning is about 4 weeks. Incredible, right? And hey, if you’re lucky enough to have more re-connections—like, I don’t know, every time your internet flickers (which in Germany happens like clockwork every 24 hours)—you might even shave off a few extra days! What a treat!

But wait, it gets even better! Three years ago—yes, three whole years—someone had the audacity to request a simple feature to reboot the lock and clear the leaks. And here we are, still nothing. Not a fix, not a word. And, oh yeah, not even an apology from Nuki. Really keeping that gold standard of accountability, aren’t they?

And let’s not forget how Nuki seems completely uninterested in customer feedback, logfiles, VPN access—basically anything that could actually help. In my 30+ years in tech, I’ve never seen such blatant indifference. Truly a next-level approach to customer support.

Meanwhile, other forums are packed with the same complaints, but sure, go ahead, Nuki, feel free to delete these posts here. That’ll definitely restore confidence! Except, whoops, those other forums aren’t going anywhere and will slowly chip away at what little trust people have left. But hey, who needs loyal customers or future sales, right?

1 Like

@Stefan_E @esailor Once again, while we valuable feedback this is a developer forum and posts should follow the guidelines as well. It is not a discussion board about opinions around Nuki products and also not a general customer support forum.

As our teams is currently actively investigating the original topic of this thread (Nuki Bridge lost connection to Smart Lock 4.0) we will keep this thread focused on this topic and will provide updates here.

Consequently, further posts that are not in compliance with our guidelines will be removed as they are not contributing to finding a solution in this case. For qualitative inputs this thread remains open of course.

Thank you.

1 Like

An update on this topic:

Our teams have evaluated the reports based on which a new Beta FW was released: Beta 4.4.1

If you are affected please install the Beta FW by following the instructions:

1. Make sure that your Smart Lock is registered for the FW Beta
    a. If not, send me your Smart Lock ID via PM and we will add it to the FW Beta

2. Unplug your Nuki Bridge

3. Manually install the Beta FW via the Nuki App

4. Again plug in your Nuki Bridge

Please report back if the Beta FW fixed your setup or if you are still experiencing issues so that our team can follow-up if required.

Thank you for your cooperation and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

as our lock with the problem is 2000km away kindly give us instructions on how to install the new Beta FW.

Due to your faulty firmware we are now in week two without remote access to our vacation home. And following other public forums we are by far not the only ones left in limbo

I think you own it your customers to offer a proper solution to get the lock back online without causing additional harm.

@Stefan_E Again, this is not a general support forum.

The instructions on how to install the Beta FW in this particular case have been provided in order to validate a fix.

If required, we will follow-up with direct communication to deal with individual cases, such as yours.
This is not scope of this developer forum. So, please keep this thread clean and follow the guidelines. Thanks.

1 Like

We are now in the second week offline. Instead of talking about guidelines you should give instructions how to get the device back online.

1 Like

You need somebody to reset the unit and connect directly with BT. The developers can’t help you installing a new firmware if there is no remote access possible. I always have the same problem if unit is offline. Need to send my property manager to reset the unit.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback which we are evaluating further internally.

If you happen to have installed the Beta FW to resolve the original issue at hand in this thread feel free to report back if it works for you. Thank you.

1 Like

The issue with the Nuki SL appears to be a leak, causing the lock to go offline after 3-4 weeks. How can we provide feedback after just a few hours? Are you certain you’ve addressed the correct problem?

Additionally, we need clear instructions on how to get locks in productive remote vacation homes

a) back online

and

b) install the new firmware remotely.

We are now entering the second week of asking for support.

Three years ago, there was a feature request to allow users to remotely reboot the lock. Three years later, there is still no indication from Nuki whether this will ever be implemented. It’s a shame, as a remote reboot could resolve the leak before the lock goes offline.

1 Like

@Stefan_E A fix in the form of a new Beta FW has been released, which in this case requires the installation to be done locally, simply due to the fact that the Nuki Bridge is not connecting anymore to your Smart Lock to automatically install a FW update, which it normally would do if configured accordingly. We are not commenting on speculations as to why this issue was caused but are focused on providing a solution.

To everyone reading:
According to feedback received this fix is working and we plan to publicly release it in the course of this week to all customers. In the meantime, you still have the option to install the Beta FW until then.

As I’ve mentioned previously “If required, we will follow-up with direct communication to deal with individual cases, such as yours.”. This is what is going on - also with your individual case and will continue.

Hello,

The lock went offline due to a bug in your firmware, and now our vacation flat has been offline for the second week. For almost two weeks, I’ve been asking how to get it back online. I even offered to send someone on-site to physically power cycle the lock. Yet after nearly TWO WEEKS, not a single response from your side, and your support team is still unreachable.

By the way, “if configured accordingly” is an INSULT to all your paying customers whose locks have gone offline. Have you checked any forums lately? People are constantly complaining about Nuki locks going offline after a few weeks. Even on the Airbnb user forum, you’re the hot topic (I’m sure that’s doing wonders for your sales). Ironically, you announced that this beta would fix the bug of locks going offline. How convenient to now blame it on “incorrect configuration.”

So, just answer this one simple question: What exactly is configured wrong when your locks go offline after 3-4 weeks?

I think it is not too hard to understand that the Smart Lock will install the update automatically if

1. you’re enrolled for beta (or wait for the public release that has been announced for this week)
  2. automatic updates are enabled (they are by default to my concern) … that’s what most likely is meant with “configured accordingly”

But in every case someone needs to be locally at your Smart Lock and reboot it once (remove/insert batteries).
There is no way around this no matter how often you request other solutions.

I think it also doesn’t help if you keep referring to a 3 year old feature request for a different product (the Nuki Opener and not the Nuki Smart Lock).
Maybe this 3 year old problem with the Nuki Opener has been fixed already and that might be the reason nobody else commented that ticket for 3 years.

Hello Tobias,

I am asking for nearly two weeks if a power cycle would bring back the lock online but the support does not answer emails and the person in this forum avoids a clear answer.

The lock is registered for the beta but probably auto updates are not enabled as that is a no go for a productive system.

Why is the Nuki support not able to confirm if I can send someone to power cycle the lock so that it can install the beta remotely?

Why is the Nuki support not reachable via phone?

Why is the Nuki support not answering emails?

One of the main advertised usages of the Nuki locks are remote vacation homes. For that reason people usually have the bridge. If the main advertised usage does not work and renders the lock offline then a paying customer would expect clear guidance from support.