Nuki 3.0 Pro looses connection despite AP is next to it

Reporting back here in case anyone is experiencing the same. The issue is caused by a Unifi UAC-U6-LR access point. Replacing this with a Unifi UAC-AP-Pro resolved the reconnection issue instantly. Apparently the Nuki SL 3 Pro doesnt play nice with this access point.

Blockquote
Reporting back here in case anyone is experiencing the same. The issue is caused by a Unifi UAC-U6-LR access point. Replacing this with a Unifi UAC-AP-Pro resolved the reconnection issue instantly. Apparently the Nuki SL 3 Pro doesnt play nice with this access point.

I’ve got nanoHD and the same problem.

Hi,
we have a Unifi-Network at Home with a DreamMachine-Pro and four UAP-AC-M’s.

The new SL3 Pro loses the Wifi-Connection every few minutes.

Du you know a solutaion or a helpful configuration in the CloudKey?

Hello.

I have a Nuki 3.0 Pro in use since yesterday and also have regular wifi connection drops.

However, I have found a way to establish a stable connection, at least for me.

What I have tried so far:

I tested with 2 different access points. With a TP-Link Archer C80 and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. The Nuki lost the connection to the access points within a few minutes and did not re-establish it.

Both access points are actually configured as access points and not as routers. The CPE of my internet provider is still used as router/gateway (NAT, DHCP, …).

This was all without noticeable success.

An actual improvement brought the following:

I configured the Netgear R7000 as a router. So the router gets an IP address from my CPE, creates its own private network (with its own NAT and DHCP, no IPv6). This brought the desired success. The Nuki did not lose the connection over a period of 2 hours (before after a few minutes). The configuration of the wifi interface did NOT change!

Currently I have the following suspicion:
My provider (A1, Austria) uses a “ZTE MC801A 5G” as CPE and IPv6 support is enabled (cannot be disabled). If now the CPE is configured as router, then all clients also get IPv6 addresses (beside the IPv4) assigned (also for DNS).

This is currently my thesis why it comes to these connection drops with the Nuki.

I will now try to reconfigure my network so that the CPE no longer acts as a router.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Harry

Hi again.

Now. I call this a SUCCESS!

My nuki lock has now a stable wifi-connection (over the last hour or two).

What did I do:
I’ve reconfigured my CPE (ZTE MC801A 5G) to act like a bridge and not like router.
So the CPE is not doing NAT anymore. This is now done by my TP-Link Archer C80 (now configured as router, previously access-point) - so NAT is now done by the TP-Link device.

This change “removes” IPv6-support from my private network.
I’ve checked this by opening https://ipv6-test.com/

My results now:

I didn’t make a screenshot before reconfiguring my network but I had some IPv6 connectivity before - I promise.

As I already mentioned … my ISP is A1 here in austria. And they are using a so called “IPv6 dual-stack”-setup. Find more about it here:

(all in german)

If you have any connection issue you might check if you have “IPv6 connectivity” available in your network. You can do a simple test by opening https://ipv6-test.com/

@panu: Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Harry

No.

The problem in your case does not necessarily have to be IPv6 (which is unsupported and completly ignored by the Smart Lock), but could also be that the ZTE NAT solution does not allow/offer stable, low traffic tcp connections. In some scenarios we’ve seen tcp connections dropping as frequent as every 5 minutes, which leads to reconnect attempts of the Smart Lock. This overhead leads to a significantly increased power consumption of the Smart Lock.

With the current implementation the Smart Lock does also reconnect to WiFi in case of a tcp connection drop, which could lead to problems with the WiFi router if it’s done too often. It could have been the reason why you did not get a “stable wifi connection” too. There will be some changes to this logic with the next release, which is already in beta since some time.

I don’t have information on how the Nuki-lock handles IPv6. However, it is clear that this is a significant difference between the environments where the lock is functioning and not functioning (at least for me). And … a typical customer would have likely returned the lock instead of spending hours trying to resolve the issue.

I am already using the beta firmware v3.5.6. Upgrading to the latest beta version was my first step and unfortunately, it did not result in a better (more stable) Wi-Fi connection for me.

Hello,
do we have here any news to the funktion of Nuki 3.0 Pro and UNIFI-Products?
LG Dennis.

There is no general problem with Unifi products. It is limited to specfic configurations (or models) while it works without problems for others.

Some setups create troubles when the Smart Lock tries to reconnect after a loss of Internet or WiFi connectivity. You can easily try if you are affected by checking if a lock action performed with the button on the Smart Lock leads to an almost immediated, succesfull WiFi reconnect. We can reproduce this issue and it is currently under investigation.

One user here in the forum did describe that he had reconnects every few minutes. He fixed it by changing (one of his APs) to a newer Unifi model. Whether the reason was really hardware related or because of the configuration of the AP is not known as Nuki was not able to reproduce the issue.

I see poor WIFI performance on NUKI smart lock 3.0 PRO:

I have a low cost device (ESP8266) near NUKI smart lock 3.0 PRO and both are connected to the same EERO 6 PRO AP WIFI; I see NUKI lose many db comparing ESP8266…

could be a problem of WIFI antenna???

How to you measure “poor WiFi performance”? Does the remote access to the Smart Lock not work?

After days of testing with various access points (2 mikrotik, esp32, tp-link, etc…), beta firmware etc, I was about to return the product. Now I finally found the solution, at least in my case it works, maybe it can help someone. A too short lease time in the DHCP server, set to infinite and it works great, I hope it lasts…

I had the same issue with my Nuki 3.0 Pro and UniFi UAP-AC-Pro.
Playing around with Wifi Settings by

• enabling “Multicast Enhancement”
  • lower densitiy of “802.11 Rate and Beacon Controls” to 6Mbps
    and magically my Nuki 3.0 Pro Built-In WIFI is able to connect to my UniFi UAP-AC-Pro.

I have so much trouble with this device and they do not want me to return it that I’m considering a lawsuit.

Just today we were away for half a day and the app said the door was locked where it was not locked. See the attached image (as a new user I can only attach one image - I have 3 different timestamped images - feel free to contact me if you would like the original images). This device should not be sold in its current state.

This device feels like handing out ‘Get in for Free’ tickets to burglars.

Please contact our support via the Nuki App (Menu > Help > Contact Customer Support) as this is an individual problem and might require sharing logs and other sensitive data.

Thanks for reaching out, Jürgen, but I’ve tried contacting support too many times without any result.

Hi, my Nuki 3.0 Pro no longer connects to wifi, the pad does not take a fingerprint, after spending a lot of money between the door sensor pad lock and the cylinder, a quite unacceptable situation

There was a server outage today in the morning. You can check Nuki Status Dashboard – Check the Status of Nuki Services for the state of the API. Else please contact our support via the Nuki App (Menu > Help > Contact Customer Support) for more detailed information.

This forum is focused on developer related issues.

Same here with asus gtax 11000 pro
Modem distance 3 meters

Pretty unreliable when you have have rely while being away. Lock 2.0 was working fine with separate hub. Lock pro 3.0 is a disaster. I have TP-Link Omada wifi setup, every device works on lock pro 3.0 is disconnecting where day. Any ideas ?

1 Like