Keypad 2.0 becomes slower the less you use?

One possible cause to the issue is the cold weather, at my place it’s currently between 0 and 12 degrees Celsius depending the day.
Could lithium batteries improve that?

This is a video recording of the problem:

Behind the door there is the smartlock 3.0
Reset the device already done, also soft reset. For the first days it work better but now it needs until 4 times to detect the fingerprint and unlock… the number sequence entry does not work when this happened…

1 Like

Your case is quite specific, because the ferroconcrete wall and the steel door act like a bunker that shields the BLE signal. This is the worst scenario for radiation (BLE) at all. You might have to go very near to the door with the Keypad in order for it to work.

Here is the link to my video, same problem, as soon as I reset the keyboard it works great, then the following days it becomes slow (maybe learning isn’t very “intelligent”) and starts having problems. A similar bug is with autounlock, once reset it works fine, then it becomes very slow.

If the ferroconcreate wall and the steel door (idk if this is a steel door… In Italy is called “fire cutter door”) is the worst scenario for a BLE device why my phone is able to open the smart lock from a greater distance? (also with the wall between)
For a device like the keypad that is s. ponsored to have a great distance range (I remember 5mt) I expect to work in a scenario like this. Also because it is mounted on the edge of the wall in the same air line of the smart lock…
I will try to move the keypad nearer to the door… But I am not happy about this… It is like 50cm…

Any progress debugging this? Since the temperatures increased in the Netherlands and I replaced the keypad batteries to energizer lithium, I felt an improvement, it still happens to be slow sometimes bit less often than before.

1 Like

Now that I found the issue here on the forum I can also confirm my keypad works also slower than in the beginning.

As I habe issues with the wifi, I now have 4.2.4 beta and set bluetooth to fast. Mybe it will help?

Since today there is a new Beta firmware available for the Keypad 2, thus please install this beta firmware and report your findings.

If you are interested in joining the Beta program please write me a DM including the Nuki ID of your Keypad 2.

Has the new Keypad 2 Beta 2.2.0 improved the user experience with your device?

• Yes, it is working much better now
  • No, there is no difference, the issue still persits
  • not updated yet to Beta 2.2.0
0 voters

How long is the duration with Beta 2.2.0 between the finger is put onto the Kepad 2 / a Keypad Code is entered and the Smart Lock starts the unlock action?

• instant
  • less than 3s
  • less than 5s
  • less than 10s
  • more than 10s
  • not updated yet to Beta 2.2.0
0 voters
1 Like

I think it’s too early to know if it has really improved, I’ll hold and test it a few more days before voting.

Initial impression is that it has improved and unlocks in less than 3 seconds

1 Like

Last two days i experienced 4-5 seconds several times during the day

Hi everyone, after one week from the release of the beta update this is my “review”.

First, if I move the keypad over the door where the Nuki smart lock is installed the time is less than 3 sec.
However, the goal in my case was to solve the problem from where I originally put the keypad. (Video reference back in the previous comments).

So right now there is a good improvement. It is not perfect but now it is acceptable.
The first days it was like doctor Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde: sometimes it unlocked on the first try, sometimes at 2nd/3rd/4th.
Not good
The times it took longer I noticed that it was when the smart lock was in night mode or the first use after the night mode turned off.

So I tried to disable the night mode, and the performance improved.
Typically it takes 6/7 seconds or a second try (always after 6/7 seconds) in the worst case.
So the trade for a good performance right now is the battery life. Luckily I use rechargeable batteries XD

Now the leds always blink when I try to digit the code. Before there was no sign of life. The only way was to use the fingerprint.

In conclusion, the performance now is good but could be improved more.
I am very happy about the quick support from the developers and the release of the beta.
It is rare to find this kind of response.
I hope that there will be a new update with more improvements so that I can re-enable the night mode.
Some features of that mode are really useful.
Thank you
Luca

Today I had a very annoying (to say the least) experience and luckily I had my phone with me to unlock the door.
When I arrived back home, neither my girlfriends or mine fingerprint opened the door, keypad was not lightning up. I’m attaching a screenshot here.

It just happened again, but then after one “invalid fingerprint” the second time it took 5 seconds and unlocked.

These unknown failures stopped happening.
About the unlock speed, every day that the temperature start increasing in the Netherlands I feel like it has a positive impact in the unlock speed.
Can someone from Nuki give some context about what tests were made to the keypad related to performance in different temperature conditions?

Temperature per se has no direct impact on how fast the Smart Lock works. You can put it in a fridge without impact on the processing speed.

What can have an impact on the transmission of wireless signals (i.e. Bluetooth) is the amount of water in the air. Bose has an article about a few things that can have an impact on Bluetooth transmission quality (such as humiditiy, nearby WiFi signals)

That’s interesting! Thanks

I have the same experience. Sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds independend if Key or finger was used. I do not run the beta firmware. In the first days it was like: Finger on the pad and it opened very quickly. It was a wow effect. Now it is thinking a while. Nothing has changed from architectural perspective in between.

The 2.2.x beta which was mentioned in this thread has already been released. Please make sure that you update your Keypad to the latest available version.

If you continue to have problems, please contact our support via the Nuki App (Menu > Help > Contact Customer Support) for more detailed information. This forum is focused on beta tester and developer related issues.

Is it possible to share what was changed (code-level) in this update? Just to understand where the issue may be.

From the survey above the results were 50:50