iOS 16.2 new architecture issues with HomeKit

To add to this thread, just another example of how nuki stopped properly working in the last version.

My other accessories are all working great, my two Nuki locks often show as no response, to the point that even the widget shows up. To translate the widget it says “2 without response”.

It’s important to mention that I opted for Nuki locks because of HomeKit support, so this should also be high priority for Nuki team.

Apple pulled the update because of too many problems.

1 Like

Yeah, already noticed it. Anyway, it can’t be no coincidence that’s affecting both Nuki locks. I’m not saying that’s entirely your fault, I’m just saying that probably your implementation was more prone to be affected by this change.

Let me add some comments since I’m experiencing almost the same thing. Maybe it’s good to know for others having the same issues.

Situation

• 2 Homes in completely different locations
  • 2 Nuki 3.0 Pro locks
  • 1 home (A) with 2 ATV’s and a couple of homepods
  • 1 home (B) with multiple homepods only
  • Both homes are upgraded to 16.2 with the new architecture

Home A: Nuki works fine, and nearly instant status update in the home app on the lock status, I don’t even see the word Updating.

So automations based on locking and unlocking work like a charm.

Home B: Status update in the home app, takes a long, long time, or I get the message No response.

Result: Automations are not working on very late.

This wasn’t the case before 16.2 with the new architecture.

I don’t want to play the blame game, but it would be nice if Nuki could take a look at these problems, because I think they will come faster with a solution then Apple.

1 Like

One more thing: why does Nuki doesn’t use HK over Wifi instead of BLE in their Pro’s? This would actually probably fix this issue, since it’s happening only with BLE devices and also improve reliability/range, not relying on having a home hub near by.

I don’t see any reason why HK in a Wifi device such as Smart Lock Pro, which costs ~300€, doesn’t have a good wifi implementation for HK — yeah, it could consume a bit more battery, but that’s a tradeoff for reliability and Nuki on its own (non-HK) already uses Wifi, so… go figure. I don’t want to blame anyone, but seems like Nuki just didn’t want to have the work to implement the Wifi protocol for HK since it was already done for BLE.

2 Likes

Exactly the same demand, please make it works with wifi for HK, i used ‘TheKey’ lock before and it works fine trough Homebridge, i change for a HomeKit product, and it doesn’t work anymore !
May be, i can use Homebridge with Nuki !??!

Nuki seems very closed in regards of what users ask for. They have their own vision and that’s it — or, you can hope for a feature in a feature request for something basic that shouldn’t even be considered a feature, like having HK over wifi when the device already has wifi and HK, but yet, uses worse technology (BLE).

1 Like

Yeah, the lock 3 pro should definitively use wifi for HK. I thought it was the case.

Problem still present on iOS 16.3. I have more than 50 HK accessories and I’ve been only experiencing issues with both Nukis that I have and a netatmo monoxide sensor.

If the other accessories doesn’t have an issue maybe you should take action. Your product sells as HK compatible and since iOS 16.2 isn’t really reliable. If I knew this issues before buying, being a HK user, I’d probably bought something else.

The diference of your support to Netatmo’s is that them, actually take actions and the support told me that will try to replicate my setup to find the issue, nuki in the other hand just blames Apple instead of trying to fix it or workaround Apple’s issues in their products to keep it reliable

I like Nuki as a product but don’t really like the support it has.

1 Like

Before making negative comments you should check what you are talking about. The homekit update of Apple isnt released yet. Thats why iOS and HomePod updates to 16.3 donnot change anything. I would wait for the HK update. If nuki is still not working as expected, then you can continue to complain :wink:

Like I said, I have 50+ accessories. Surprise that Nuki’s are not only some of the more expensive that I have while also being the only that often lose signal to HK. Why doesn’t my other BLE accessories (more than 10) stop responding as well? That’s what I don’t get.

HK support was not the greatest in the first place for this, one must admit — so how can you explain me an accessory that has Wifi built-in using BLE for HK when Wifi is much more reliable? (battery can’t be the reason because wifi is still working for Nuki stuff).

Bumping this as it’s still a major issue on iOS 16.3.1. The HK seems to be working pretty solid since last updates but yet, both my Nuki locks are experiencing constant “no response” status. I’m not sure what Nuki is waiting for, to be honest.

Edit: FYI if this continues for a while, I’ll ask Amazon for a refund due to a malfunctioning product of two locks.

Hi,
You’re right that this is a continued issue.

I reported the issue to nuki early on and got the response that this is apple’s fault and this is the reason they pulled the architecture.

The architecture pull wasn’t due to Bluetooth accessories, but rather invites and server side upgrades resulting in people being locked out of homes due to differences in architecture + iOS versions etc. end users introducing wierd things and particularly (my opinion) that invitees usually have a default home in the background

While I haven’t fully resolved the issues with nuki, it’s still slower than others, I did find better results after doing a factory reset and re-adding it to HomeKit.
I also use “fast connection” for the Bluetooth connectivity

This has made it I would guess 70% better

Nuki can really take some responsibility and make this work better

1 Like

Apple released the iOS 16.4 beta, apparently containing the new HomeKit architecture again. What is your experience with it?

We’re still aware of this problem. We will reach out to you individually via DM for more details. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Stefan, seems like the issue is still there on iOS 16.4. They only seemed to introduced back the new architecture toggle like someone already mentioned — but this was because they had issues with invites and such.

From my understanding, there is something underlying in the new architecture that demands more updates from the devices. Maybe because now the IoT devices have its status cached in the HomeKit hub (HomePod and such) whereas before it would ask the individual device for its status whenever needed. Maybe now the HK hub asks Nuki for its status too often and sometimes it doesn’t respond resulting in the no response issue.

That’s my 2 cents but one should be able to easily replicate it: just add a couple of nukis in the new architecture, using a HomePod as hub and then through the day you should get the no response pretty often.

Smart Lock Beta 3.6.1 contains a few changes that could potentially improve the behaviour with HomeKit, especially when the new architecture and/or HomePod Minis are used.

Apple did also release several updates across its product lineup (Several 16.4 Betas for all products).

If you use either Nukis or Apples betas (or both), could you please let us know if you still experience problems with HomeKit?

Thank you!

@Juergen I’ve been testing the new firmware on my two locks (Pro and non-pro) and so far this are my feedback:

• Connection seems more stable and reliable. I think there was a time I brought the Home app from background into foreground and a lock (non-pro) showed as “no response” but restarting the Home app brought it back online again. It could have been some momentary hiccup. On overall, the connection seems to not be dropping at least as it was before.
  • There seems to be a major lag now reporting the status to he hub (HomePod) when unlocking at least. This is quite evident for me because I have an automation when the lock unlocks upon arriving (turn on the hallway light). Before the firmware update, it would turn on after like 1-5 seconds (if it didn’t have the bug of no response in the moment of the trigger) whereas now it’s consistently around 10-15 seconds after unlocking, making it unreliable for such automations.

Anyway, I think the firmware is in a good path, if you could just fix it the update delay it would be perfect. I’d rather have it like this (with lag) than having it consistently as “no response” and not even triggering the automations at all. There were multiple times that some of my lights kept on because it didn’t trigger the “lock event” and the automation to turn off the lights didn’t trigger as well.

Is this lag the same for both Smart Locks that you have?
Does it change, when you change Smart Lock settings Battery > Energy-saving mode to fast or slow?
Please DM me the Nuki IDs of your Smart Locks.

No. Actually not. Surprisingly the Pro is the slower one, the non-pro has like 2-5 seconds of lag. I must point that both locks have excellent coverage to the hubs. I assume that the pro is still using BLE for the communication with the HomePod (which would be great to use Wi-Fi instead for the HK, but that’s another topic).

I have both energy modes set to auto.

I’ll send you right away.

Beta Firmware 3.6.2 has additional changes that could improve the speed at which notifications / automations are processed by HomeKit after a lock action happended. Please give it a try and let us know if you notice any differences.