In which ways is it possible to keep Nuki local?

Hello.

I am considering Nuki for my new home.
But I don’t feel comfortable to have a smart lock connected to a cloud.
I belief that my lock should run local.

I have seen that there is a Nuki Hub in development, but how reliable is that?
Also there is matter integration.

In which ways is it possible to keep everything local?

Thank you and greetings from Germany

1 Like
  1. You can use it perfectly fine via Bluetooth only. Auto-Unlock, automations, Keypad (with Fingerprint), … all works fine. You do not have to create an account on any server, when setting up a Nuki product. Digital keys remain on your lock and your phone. But you won’t have remote access to your lock. i.e. can not lock from afar, check the state, receive notifications and so on.

2. If you activate the integrated WIFI or a Nuki bridge, still all keys remain on your device. The phone & lock communicate via an end to end encrypted channel over the Nuki server (i.e. the Nuki server nor anyone else can decrypt it). No security relevant data is stored on the Nuki servers.

3. Just with the activation of Nuki Web (e.g. for notifications) some of your data moves into a cloud.

4. You can use local Smart Home integrations (e.g. Matter / HomeKit, integrations using the BLE API and also the MQTT API) without enabling internet access for the lock too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.