HomeKit support for nuki Opener

Product name

nuki Opener

Summary

HomeKit support for nuki Opener

Features

nuki Opener should show up in HomeKit and could be controlled from there.

Reason

Would be comfortable.

Examples

Why is nuki Opener currently not compatible with HomeKit and is it planned?

Nuki Opener uses Bluetooth and Apple no longer requires specific hardware for HomeKit devices, so it should be technically possible to make Nuki Opener directly compatible with HomeKit without the need for the Bridge. By supporting HomeKit, the Nuki Opener could be controller over the Internet using a HomeKit Hub, such as an Apple TV or HomePod. HomeKit support would also enable many of the current feature requests related to automation and geofencing.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love opening events or call events so doorbell could be played from homepods, or garden light could be triggered on, or start a camera recording, or receive notifications, or ā€¦ yes, a solid homekit integration would be great. My vote here.

Of course, identifying the intercom caller was used when multiple doors are in place, otherwise, which light should I set on ?) (support for multiple doors, please. Basic things first :wink: )

3 Likes

Update to the state of affairs regarding HomeKit support:
Currently itā€™s not possible to add official HomeKit support to the Opener as Apple does not provide an appropriate profile for it because itā€™s neither a lock, nor doorbell, nor switch, nor power plug. Therefore Apple doesnā€™t certify the Opener.

However, there is unofficial support available through Homebridge:

3 Likes

Hey there,

Iā€˜m using the plugin by Lukas and it works great. But thereā€™s one issue. The HomeKit doorbell notification is ā€œalways onā€ and is not dependent on the ring suppression settings in the Nuki app. This means, the doorbell always notifies when someone is ringing. If you use ā€œRing to Openā€ with your home mates, it would be much better if it only notifies when someone unknown is ringing. This is the reason why Nuki has added the ring suppression setting.

I have no idea if this is optimizations could be done at the plugin or Nukis API.

I added a switch today, that makes it possible to suppress door ring in homekit. You can use automations the to disable it. Maybe that helps. Just to make it clear. It will not change the Nuki setting as there is no API for this.

Hi JĆ¼rgen,
any news about the officially adding the Opener in the HomeKit?

thx,
Ale

There is still no appropriate device profile in HomeKit available for the Opener.
Generally speaking, we do not comment about our roadmap and planned features here in the forum.

Hi JĆ¼rgen

Im Grunde genommen ist es ja eine Klingel. Ihr kƶnntet den Opener als Klingel bei Apple einreichen. WĆ¼rde das nicht auch gehen? FƤnde es ebenfalls recht toll, wenn beim klingeln via Opener, die HomePods und die Home App mich informieren. Also nebst dem einfachen Ɩffnen via Home App oder Apple Shortcut.

Gruss, Ruben

Like Ruben said there is of course a device type in HomeKit.
The problem is, that HomeKit compatibility will cost a few houndred thousand Euros.

1 Like

Hello,
I agree that it would be a good start with the implementation of the opener as a door bell into HomeKit, that it is able to start automatizations :slight_smile:

This would be awesome

Best regards.
M

2 Likes

Im wondering why it is NOT implemented yet, as i simply expected it from a Homekit Standard compatible product ecosystem.

minimum:

• open lock
  • ring (sensor/flag)

ideal:

• open lock
  • on/off ring to open
  • on/off ā€žDauernodzsā€œ
  • ring (sensor/flag)

A lack will leave a huge opportunity to competitorsā€¦

2 Likes