Feature request: Learning mode for rotation-calibration

Product name

Smart Lock 2.0

Summary

Manually “teach” the lock how far to rotate lock-wise and how far to rotate unlocking-wise, instead of the trial-and-error of the current offset-sliders.

Features

In the app - somwhere in the context of Calibration - the user can select “Teach Lock and Unlock-positions” and runs a wizard in two main screens:

1. Calibrate unlocking.
  2. Calibrate locking.

Screen 1 steps:

1. The screen instructs the user to set the physical lock in an “ideal, manual” locked position
  2. Then the user touch “Calibrate Unlocking”-button in the screen (the app/lock is now in "learning mode).
  3. The user is instructed to manually turn the lock from locked position to the desired end-position of unlocked state.
  4. The user confirms the current state of the lock in the app (the app/lock has now “learned” the ideal end-position for unlocked state and won’t rotate beyond this point when unlock-action is performed in the future)
  5. The user is now on the second main screen and now has a “Calibrate Locking”-button which the user touches.
  6. The user is instructed to manually turn the lock from unlocked position to the desired end-position of the locked state.
  7. The user confirms the current state of the lock in the app (the app/lock has now “learned” the ideal end-position for locked state and won’t rotate beyond this point when lock-action is performed in the future).
  8. This the end of the steps and the two main screens. The lock now rotates optimally according the users desired length of travel for the deadbolt.

Reason

This seems to me to be more intuitive and user friendly than the current manual “offset”-settings interface in the app. The offset-sliders needs several trial and error-attempts before getting tuned in. A learning mode will use one attempt to calibrate rotation perfectly to match the physical travel of the deadbolt.

Examples

1. When installing the lock and walking through the setup-guide in the app on the initial installation-steps.
  2. When - after initial installation - it is necessary to calibrate/reset the rotation and the travel of the deadbolt.
1 Like

Yes. this it great feature! My head hurts when i have to calibrate the nuku through the sliders.

4 Likes

Great idea!

As a side benefit: I think we can save battery power by setting the maximum turning when locking or opening the door. The motor will not “over drive” and use more power for that.
At least the noise of the door opening sounds like if the motor would turn to far.
Same when locking the door.

Regards and best wishes for the new year

1 Like