Doorbell sound via Google Home speakers

Product name

For which NUKI product do you want to submint a feature request?

Nuki Opener

Summary

Quick summary what this request is about.

I hear my original buzzer, and a notification via my mobile, but wouldn’t it be nice that all of my Google Home hubs and speakers made a sound that someone is at the door of the apartmenr?

Features

Detailed description of desired features.

Doorbell apartment is being pressed. Google home speakers and hubs are making a notification sound. Being able to select multiple sounds.

Reason

Why is this feature needed?

Doorbell via google speakers, hubs makes it easier to hear that someone is at the door. Old buzzer is muffled and sometimes can’t be heard when all doors are closed.

Examples

How would you like to use this feature?
List all usecases you can think of!

Doorbell apartment is being pressed. Google home speakers and hubs are making a notification sound. Being able to select multiple sounds.

I would have expected that this feature was already available, but it isn’t. Via ifttt, there is an option to let your hue blink when someone presses the door bell. So I would guess this should work for Google Home as well.

I’m working a lot with smarthome APIs that is not an easy task, since that special API for a doorbell is not public yet. So as long Nuki has not a good contact at the Google side, that cannot be implemented

@MatthiasK Google Assistant smart home notifications just became available and make this feature possible: Notifications for smart home Actions  |  Actions on Google Smart Home

For the Opener it probably makes most sense to use the “ObjectDetection” trait for notifications such as “Someone is at the front door.”: Actions on Google Smart Home  |  Google Developers

Making use of the new follow-up notifications for LockUnlock (“The front door has been locked” or “The front door is jammed”) and OpenClose (“The front door has opened” or “The front door couldn’t be opened”) would also be nice.

EDIT: Duplicate feature request: Bell Signal to Alexa / Google Home or IFTTT

2 Likes

@MatthiasK I have created a POC and it was relatively easy to add notification support to an existing (virtual) lock without even having to go through the publishing / certification again.

I’m using the Node.js client library for Actions on Google but it should be pretty similar for other languages:

//Extend attribute missing in current library
interface SmartHomeV1SyncDevices1 extends SmartHomeV1SyncDevices {
  notificationSupportedByAgent: boolean;
}
//Include attribute on sync and add ObjectDetection trait
    const device: SmartHomeV1SyncDevices1 = {
      id: ...,
      traits: [
        'action.devices.traits.LockUnlock',
        'action.devices.traits.ObjectDetection',
      ],
      notificationSupportedByAgent: true,
    }
//Trigger notification
    const reportStateRequest = {
      agentUserId: ...,
      eventId: ...,
      requestId: ...,
      payload: {
        devices: {
          notifications: {
            [deviceId]: {
              ObjectDetection: {
                priority: 0,
                detectionTimestamp: Date.now(),
                objects: {
                  unclassified: 1
                },
              },
            },
          },
        },
      },
    };
    const res = await homegraphClient.devices.reportStateAndNotification({
      requestBody: reportStateRequest
    });

If the user turns on voice notifications in the lock’s settings, there will be a broadcast to all Nest speakers/displays for each ObjectDetection notification: “Someone’s at [lock name]”

Looking forward to see this natively supported!

1 Like

Hi, can you provide further details as to how you implemented this? I have a similar setup. Opener and Nest/Google Home devices.

1 Like

If you’re not a developer familiar with TypeScript, OAuth 2, the Google Home cloud-to-cloud integration and how to deploy something on a cloud service, I really wouldn’t recommend going down this rabbit hole.

It was easy for me to build the notification PoC because I already had a working smart home provider in place. Sample to get started: GitHub - actions-on-google/smart-home-nodejs: A sample of the Smart Home device control APIs in Actions on Google

With that, I only had to make some modifications as described above and added a virtual lock (also works with the doorbell device type) with the added trait ‘action.devices.traits.ObjectDetection’. I originally intended to only try if this works at all and how easy it would be for Nuki developers to add this (relatively easy as it turns out if the rest is in place).

But as it works well, I’m actually keeping this test environment running and calling the reportStateAndNotification when I get a webhook call from the Nuki API as soon as somebody rings the Opener. I then get voice notifications through the new virtual device: “Someone’s at the entrance door”.

2 Likes

Hello @nukor,

thanks for sharing your PoC :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you plan to expand your PoC in any way?

Only if I can deploy the changes directly to the Nuki production environment. :wink:

But no, this wouldn’t make a lot of sense as it’s currently an overcomplicated workaround. I basically rebuilt a whole environment for integrating a (virtual) smartlock with Google Home just to add a tiny feature Nuki doesn’t yet have.

1 Like

Thanks @nukor,

as we are not commenting on our roadmap here I can’t provide a timeline for a potential addition of this feature request.

But, we are going to further evaluate and if there’s progress get back to you here.

Thanks again for your contribution and further expanding the options using your Nuki devices!