Shouldn't Nuki servers be accessible via IPv6?

I have an Amazon Echo 4th Gen, which is supposed to function as a Thread Border Router. However, it seems to lack NAT64 support, which is necessary for enabling remote administration of my Smart Lock over Matter. As a result, I’m unable to activate the Remote Admin over Matter feature.

I believe NAT64 is required because the Nuki servers (api.nuki.io, web.nuki.io, etc.) are only accessible via IPv4.

Shouldn’t IPv6 support on the server side be an inevitable consequence of Nuki adopting Matter?

It’s not so easy, because NAT64 also solves the NAT problem not just the IPv6 to IPv4 conversion. With IPv6 you need a publicly routable IP address space assigned to you by your ISP (and some more things).

Here is a document that digs deeper into it: https://www.threadgroup.org/Portals/0/documents/support/ThreadBorderRouterBestPractices_2530_1.pdf

Your explanation is unconvincing, @Juergen . The document you referenced states that NAT64/DNS64 is relevant only for “Global IPv4” and “Site IPv4” scenarios. However, like a growing number of users, I connect to the Internet through an ISP that provides both IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity. Additionally, my router supports DHCPv6-PD, allowing IPv6-capable devices on my local network to access IPv6 sites. If Nuki servers were accessible via IPv6, Thread border routers like the Amazon Echo 4th Gen would likely be sufficient to activate the Remote Admin over Matter Nuki feature. The key issue seems to be Nuki’s lack of IPv6 connectivity for its servers.

1 Like

You are correct that DHCPv6-PD and proper support of it within (open)thread (which is still in the works) and the feature being turned on within the border router, would allow direct outbound IPv6 connectivity. We have not tested this yet, but it’s definitely an interesting topic.

Please create a feature request and start collecting votes for it, so that any interest in such a feature is bundled there.

I wish to see that feature as well. As soon there is a feature request i‘d upvote.
Cheers

The feature request has been created:

Please upvote.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.