iOS 15 Home Key

I would love it ;)))

2 Likes

No itā€™s not :confused:

Theyā€™re implementing things, but priorities are wrong, right now there might be a fingerprint and stuff, but no matter, no home key plans yet :frowning:

https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/nuki-keypad-mit-fingerabdruckleser-geplant

(Article is written in German :de:)

3 Likes

And I would buy a new Nuki if it supports this!

1 Like

Liebes Nuki Team,

Ich bin auf der Suche meine SchlĆ¼ssel endlich los zu werden. Das Apple HomeKey ist der erste Ansatz, der fĆ¼r mich Interessant ist, da hiermit auch die Apple Watch mit Express Mode unterstĆ¼tzt wird. Daher bin ich derselben Meinung wie flux_copacitor. Nuki wird erst interessant fĆ¼r mich, wenn

1. Express Mode mit Home Key ermƶglicht wird
  2. Ein NFC-fƤhiger Sensor/Keypad mit Home Key Integration erhƤltlich wird, mit dem ein Summer/Buzzer zum Beispiel via Nuki Opener angesteuert werden kann

Ich wĆ¼rde mich freuen, wenn beides von Nuki in Zukunft unterstĆ¼tzt beziehungsweise entwickelt wird.

Viele GrĆ¼ĆŸe!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve installed the new keypad today andā€¦ I can see why the Nuki team did focus on fingerprint/faster electronics rather than trying to fight Apple on their HomeKey requirements.

The only reason why I would have loved HomeKey is speed. My lock auto-unlocks when I approach the door and thatā€™s super fast but sometimes you just leave the apartment without leaving the geofence andā€¦ you either take your phone out and unlock the door (takes 20 seconds or more) or you use a pincode on the keypad (10 seconds-ish). HomeKey would have been faster in both cases (assuming you have your phone handy).

Keypad 2.0 solves it for me. It unlocks the door in around 2-3 seconds which is quicker than any other options. I can still share codes rather than sharing HomeKeys so thatā€™s the same functionality. Cost wiseā€¦wellā€¦ the new keypad is not cheap but itā€™s sooooo fast. Honestly, I donā€™t see a single use case where HomeKey would have been better. If someone has a use case, please post it on here so we can help the team design towards it.

Until then, kudos Nuki team for the Keypad 2.0.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, as I was wondering how quick the keypad would be. I suppose many will have been hoping for a similar experience in terms of speed, but without spending the (significant) price of the keypad.

Also I canā€™t help but think the keypad is a missed opportunity to have implemented an externally mounted device to add home key capability.

Received and installed our Keypad 2.0 yesterday, and thought it worth sharing that our experience mirrors yours Paul. It has been rock solid and consistently opens the lock in about 2 seconds, which is MUCH quicker than using either Apple Watch or iPhone.

OT somewhat, but my only wishes now are:

1. Iā€™ve realised you canā€™t have fingerprint (only) enabled, you have to set a fixed 6-digit code as well. Iā€™d love to be able to enable fingerprint only, to avoid the possibility of someone randomly trying (or witnessing one of us entering a code!). Enhancement requested.
  2. In physical terms I do wish the keypad were slimmer in terms of thickness, even if at the expense of it being wider. Presumably this design is driven by the batteries living behind the buttons, circuity and fingerprint reader.
  3. It would be amazing if the keypad itself had NFC and could enable homekey by acting as an externally-mounted reader.

I echo your thoughts. what I did is creating a separate totally random code just for my fingerprints. I have my regular code for everything else (although I havenā€™t been typing any codes so far, fingerprint worked every single time).

They could have a special type of authentication which is fingerprint only. I guess theyā€™ve opted for an MVP implementation to improve later (if people requested Nuki to improve).

Would also love Apple Homekey.

Seems like a no brainer to access customers looking for a device with that specific featureā€¦sells itself.

2 Likes

The Nuki Blog has some informations about Home Key:

ā€¦ Nuki has always been open for integrations with the major software platforms out there. No doubt, Apple HomeKit brought a huge push to the industry and also to the Nuki Smart Lock. So we are well aware of these benefits and have targeted NFC support in the Keypad 2.0. However it turned out that Apple has requirements for HomeKey that the Nuki Smart Lock canā€™t meet and the same limitation will also be true for most other retrofit Smart Locks in Europe. ā€¦

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™ve read that article when it came out.

Honestly, I donā€™t care anymore about HomeKey at all. The fingerprint sensor is so fast that HomeKey would actually be slower :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still want homekey. When I have my hands full with shopping bags I donā€™t have a finger to press the keypad which is also too high when lifting heavy bags.

But holding my wrist near the door lock would be much easier

1 Like

So still no plans for home key? Sad.

1 Like

Aquara u100 has Homekey and not nuki??? Something strange happened

1 Like

Where did you get that U200 will support HomeKey for sure? The U200 doesnā€™t exist yetā€¦

Itā€™s about U100. It is already there and it has HomeKey support.

U100 is not a retrofit :slight_smile:

Itā€™s not v clear what are the problems of HomeKey with EU doors. We have some examples for non-EU doors that seem to be good reference:

• U100 is made of 2 pieces: reader + lock. The reader is connected to the lock by a wire. May be this wired connector is not always easy for retrofit solutions but itā€™s still doable, specially for doors with electric strike locks (such as with Nuki Opener) or with motorized locks (such as with Nuki Smart Door).

• HID Reader: Although this is not really HomeKey, but I think itā€™s similar access credential method using Apple Wallet. It also has wired connector and could be connected to motorized or electric strike locks.

I hope you explore different possible options for integrating Home Key in suitable products even if itā€™s not applicable for retrofit locks. Nuki already has some alternative products which could be a good fit for this feature.

True but Nuki also has non-retrofit products which also have no Home Key.

Itā€™s been almost four years now. This pretty much looks like the easiest way to keeping your first party app alive, and nothing more.