Breaking changes for MQTT in Home Assistant 2023.8

I am with you that it is better to reduce the communication about updates and that you do not communicate details to reach this goal. Especially dates. This prevents a lot of time, you can invest in programming instead of communicating.

But as you are reacting to the request and asking for further information, it looks like that NUKI will fix this problem. So it makes no sens to change the configuration by myself, and simply stay tuned? Is this correct.

As least to 2024-01? :wink:

2 Likes

Only Home Assistant user who have updated Home Assistant to 2023.8, thatā€™s all the matter of this issue.
For user who wait more time to update, new naming style will have some strange effects.

If Home Assistant specified its version on a MQTT topic it could make things easier, or not in fact because it would means different payloads.

Hello Patrick, I didnā€™t mention this separately, because that was already the content of your problem writing.

As a user of Home Assistant and Nuki, I think itā€™s quite interesting whether this is solved by Nuki or not.
Buy the way when you setup now Home Assistant I donā€™t think that you use an old version or?

If you setup Home Assistant now, yes you will have the latest version.

I also hop (and trust) Nuki will solve this issue but I also perfectly understand @Juergen point of view, breaking change are very hard for updates.

1 Like

The warnings disappeared.

Have you fixed it?

Have you updated to 2023.8.4?
If yes, the reason is

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the MR.

However, even if the warnings have disappeared, they have just removed them because it was annoying for the users who donā€™t really have any leverage on this. The goal of having better standardized MQTT names is still here and that means thereā€™s still work outstanding on Nukiā€™s side.

3 Likes

I guess what needs to be done here is notifying Nuki team about this MQTT change, right?
Has anybody done that already? If not, what is the most effective way of letting them know? Email or other? I could take care of that if nobody has already.

Juergen, here in the chat, is from Nukiā€™s team

Awesome - thanks for the info, Pascal!

This is a note to self, and to anybody else wondering how to fix their MQTT/HASS Nuki 3.0 Pro smart lock, after updating HASS past the recent version that breaks the Nuki MQTT connection.

Today I upgraded HASS:

Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest

Obviously it broke the connection to the Nuki 3.0 Pro lock.

How I fixed it:

1. In HASS (settings > devices) deleted the MQTT Nuki device
  2. In the NUKI app, remove the MQTT connection.
  3. In the NUKI app add the connection again (hostname of HASS, login and pw)
  4. In HASS (settings > devices) add the MQTT Nuki device again

This fixed the HASS > MQTT > Nuki communication and all HASS configs work again, also the Nuki exposure to Homekit. (including battery status and low battery threshold).

The reason I have this whole setup, is to expose the Nuki lock from HASS via WIFI/MQTT to Homekit, in stead of the flaky and slow Bluetooth connection to one of my AppleTVs or the Homepod that I bought only to sit beside the Nuki, so it is in Bluetooth range. The Nuki > MQTT ( via wifi) > HASS > Homekit route is rock steady and MUCH faster than Nuki (via Bluetooth) > Homekit route.

Thanks for making this possible!

1 Like

Is there a plan to fix the naming of the MQTT autodiscovery messages so that no warnings are issued?

The lock does work correctly via MQTT, the messages that are today just (very annoying) warnings may become errors at some point. The fix is simple so I am not sure where the problem is?

@Juergen asked for the payload list to be implemented, I replied I will post it but forgot to do it because of some other projects I had at the same timeā€¦
It is not as simple as saying it is simple, there are some nuances to have a correct implementation :slight_smile:

The current betas for 4th gen (since 4.0.33) and 3rd gen (since 3.8.2) should have the changes implemented. Please check if they are working as intended and report back any issues.

1 Like

Will the new release be deployed within the next month? Or should I download a beta version?

To download the beta firmware, you have to join the beta program. Nuki Smart Lock Beta Programm - Nuki

1 Like

Strangely, I still have exactly the same warnings when restarting Home Assistant after updating it.
If I remember correctly, Home Assistant auto-discovery topics should be published each time the smart lock restarts E.G. after an update?

No. You need to disable and reenable MQTT for the autodiscovery topics to be republished.

OK, I would have preferred a method which would have allowed me to avoid typing the password again. Disabling and enabling again only Home Assistant discovery could also work?

1 Like

It is sufficient to just enter the MQTT screen in the app and hit ā€œSaveā€.
You donā€™t need to provide the password again. If you donā€™t change any other parameters it will be remembered by the Smart Lock.

Regarding the repair message Iā€™m wondering why you still get this message as I have not seen this any more since a few months already and it has been removed by Home Assistant itself according to Remove repair issue for MQTT discovered items by frenck Ā· Pull Request #98768 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub.

But please give feedback if the message is gone after reconnecting MQTT.
If it is still there please post a screenshot again (or send it to me directly).