Automated generation of codes for all OTAs working with lock offline - is it possible and what would it take?

I’m looking for a smart lock solution which would enable our company to automatically generate codes for short term stays for our Guests. In principle this would work like it already does for Airbnb (as I understand it), but for all OTAs: reservation shows up in our PMS and if it is already paid, we automatically generate and send an individual code.

Is it (at least technically) possible with Nuki with keypad?

Ideally, if algorithm generating codes would be stored independently in Nuki so that without bridge / wifi access the lock would know what code it can expect next with check-in and check-out dates encrypted in said code.

Yes, this is possible (and already done by PMS vendors) with our Web API.

This is not possible, as authorizations are created on the Smart Lock and not on a server or via a preset algorithm.

Feel free to PM me for support if you want to build an integration and need a starting point for it.

1 Like

Great!

Is this a matter of:
(A) software which could be built from scratch both on server and lock sides or
(B) hardware currently used inside the lock which does not allow for such a software solution
?

This is due to our security design. Technically it is possible to build a solution as described by you, but it would change/expand some core principles of how our Smart Lock authorizations work at the moment (in that you can check/edit/delete all valid authorizations and Keypad entry codes from a Smart Lock as an administrator).
It is clear that a Keypad entry code is already far easier to “spread”/be used by multiple (indistinguishable) users as an App invite. But an algorithm which e.g. calculates a unique Keypad entry code for a Smart Lock for every calender day would raise some additional questions on how to make this safe and transparent for the owner.

From our perspective the need is not to rely on internet connection which doesn’t have 100% uptime.

Case: guest makes a reservation at 5pm for the same day and wants to check-in immediately, internet doesn’t work at the apartment at that time, hence - I understand - currently there’s no possibility for guests to enter the apartment without assistance in person from us.

Is this correct?

Internet connection could be used when it works (hopefully always, but reality is different) to

1. automatically verify information stored on both server and lock sides,
  2. provide remote check/edit/delete features.

A little clarification: code would have check-in and check-out dates encrypted within itself. One stay (no matter how long) = one code. With this said, I’m not sure if I understand your concern. In our view this is far safer and more transparent for all parties involved (us - short term rental operator, owner, guest, cleaning service).

edit: Surely, such a code might have to be longer than 6 digits. Maybe 12 digits for first use and then first 6 for subsequent ones.

Yes, this is correct. You can’t create authorizations via Web API (or Nuki App from afar) if the Smart Lock is not reachable atm.
You could only set up Keypad entry codes in advance to use in that situations (i.e. to give them out to users as a backup).

How would those work? Would they also have specified validity?

And if we wanted to create solution mentioned earlier (algorithm stored on both server and lock sides), whom should we talk with?

I was referencing to setting up Keypad entry codes manually and just store them for later use. Validity could be set as you like it

You can add a feature request and start collecting votes for it.

If you are looking for a solution for a large scale project with a correspondingly high number of Smart Locks you can also get in touch with our business development unit to discuss possibilities. (PM me for a direct contact.)

I’m afraid forum system forbids me from doing that.40

Oh, sorry, Most likely some default new user restrictions, yes.
I sent you a PM.